Purple cone 6 glaze recipe

Hi, I used to have the most beautiful semi matt purple glaze recipe which I used on the outside bottom half of my coffee mugs with a lovely dark turquoise glaze inside and top outside.   We have recently had a cyclone and all of my pottery notes /recipes got ruined and I dont have the recipe anymore - is there anyone that can help me please It was a gorgeous generous colour, I had thought of testing the raspberry glaze recipe with more cobalt but am unsure how much more to add - we fire to cone 6 electric, the recipe was stable and very pretty and intense

Natalie,   welcome to the forums.  so sorry to hear about your losses in the storm.   i have a recipe for a lovely matt purple that i think you will like.  it may not be the one you had but it is really a good recipe.  i use it on white clay, have not seen it on darker clay.

ROBIN TEAS RELIABLE PURPLE   cone 6

potash feldspar           37

gerstley borate           12

dolomite                          6

talc                                    14

kaolin                               5

silica                                23

zinc oxide                      3

total                     100

add cobalt carb           2

OOOH thankyou so much, I will try this one out and let you know the result, we use PB103 a white fine clay and fire to cone 6 - 7

That is very kind of you, does this come out purple or mauve, I tried to get a photo of my purple, but I can only take photos on my phone, which I cant/don't know how to put on the hard drive computer

Hi Tomas, I have tried quite a few samples from Glazy.org and find that some of the materials are different from what is available in Australia, and of course once settling on a recipe I am impatient to try/test these.. I have also found that the glazes don't come out as stated at times as well, colours are not as intense or similar - thanks anyway, I will try the recipe offered and let you know what happens

i will look at my photos posted here.  still cannot figure out how to use windows 10 to add photos.  i have a piece in that glaze made by Robin that will show it.    looking at it i realize it is not quite a flat matte but more satin.   still beautiful and definitely purple, no t mauve.

let me look at another recipe that i tried with a mason stain called Pansy Purple.  it is a matte glaze that is flatter than the one from Robin.  i have more than 500 glaze tests, may take awhile but i will get it to you.

found it.  test 340  was of a base recipe that is a good matte glaze i tested with a variety of mason stains.   each color was good and the amount of colorant  in the test for purple gave a really good color in flat matte.     if you use it over texture, it will flatten out the surface if you use too much.  good luck with your clay and this glaze.

Wettlaufer 18  cone 6 matte                   from  "Getting into Pots"    1976  by George and Nancy Wettlaufer

soda feldspar                               40

whiting                                             15

ball clay                                            20

silica (flint)                                     15

dolomite                                           10

total                                              100

add pansy purple                           2

Hi Lady,

Try using windows "Snipping Tool" to crop your pic, then save in file type ".jpg" - a simple way to reduce the file size, which must be smaller'n' a meg, and home in on just the part you wish to post.

Hit the windows key and type "snip" - that should find the Snipping Tool ok. Once you've saved the cropped .jpg snip, try using "choose files..." and navigate, then choose your file! Feel free to give me a shout if I can help!

I have a copy o' Getting Into Pots, classic book.

Is your earlier recipe also mid-fire/cone 5/6 ?

11 hours ago, oldlady said:

i will look at my photos posted here.  still cannot figure out how to use windows 10 to add photos.  i have a piece in that glaze made by Robin that will show it.    looking at it i realize it is not quite a flat matte but more satin.   still beautiful and definitely purple, no t mauve.

let me look at another recipe that i tried with a mason stain called Pansy Purple.  it is a matte glaze that is flatter than the one from Robin.  i have more than 500 glaze tests, may take awhile but i will get it to you.

Hi oldlady, it was a semi satin colour that I wanted, so am eager to try the recipe you gave me, thanks - watch this space

4 hours ago, Hulk said:

Hi Lady,

Try using windows "Snipping Tool" to crop your pic, then save in file type ".jpg" - a simple way to reduce the file size, which must be smaller'n' a meg, and home in on just the part you wish to post.

Hit the windows key and type "snip" - that should find the Snipping Tool ok. Once you've saved the cropped .jpg snip, try using "choose files..." and navigate, then choose your file! Feel free to give me a shout if I can help!

Yes my recipe is midfire cone 6

thanks for the tecno. stuff regarding the sniptool, will give it a go

But I have problems loading photos from my phone onto this hard drive computer, not very computer savvy, been bought up in the pounds shillings and pence days...lol

But thanks for you input

4 hours ago, Hulk said:

Hi Lady,

Who is the author of "getting into pots" I have many glaze books, but am not sure about that one

And yes the recipe is cone 6

Hi Natalie,

I was curious about the ROBIN TEAS RELIABLE PURPLE recipe - looks like a mid fire recipe; I've got soda feldspar an' dolomite on my shopping list.

Getting Into Pots is a general reference.

gig.JPG

oh, i did it again.   thank you, hulk, for letting me know that i forgot to put   cone 6   in the title of the Robin Teas recipe.   i forget that people never read  my avatar info.     i have edited the original to add it  and added the author's name in the second post.   his excellent, simple recipes are listed on page 127.

hulk, my problem is finding a SIMPLE way to take the photos off my camera's SDHC and putting them into the computer.   the very nice man who volunteered to do so for me in florida spent 3 hours trying and wound up duplicating the photos inside my camera  with nothing in the computer.

when i got home, my friend denise helped me figure out how to write instructions so i can repeat the steps she gave me as we finally got them in.  i have 4 pages of directions to do it next time.    i need to take more pics and try again.

i will look at "snipping tool".   thanks.

17 hours ago, Hulk said:

Hi Natalie,

I was curious about the ROBIN TEAS RELIABLE PURPLE recipe - looks like a mid fire recipe; I've got soda feldspar an' dolomite on my shopping list.

Getting Into Pots is a general reference.

gig.JPG

AAAh getting into pots ( I thought that book was familiar to me) I "used" to have a copy of that book and I think I have lent it to someone and they have never returned it, ( even tho. it will have my name on it) It used to be my bible but alas not any more obviously..........Is there a purple glaze recipe in that, if so what is it?,

I like the sound of oldlady''s recipe and yes I think my recipe called for Soda Feldspar as well, but I will be doing testing of glazes in a couple of weeks

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated

george wettlaufer developed several glazes he referred to as base recipes.   some are shiny, some matte, some more matte.   it is up to the reader to add colorants and develop a glaze that pleases the user.   i can say that as written, they are terrific.   they stay where they are put.   no dripping down the sides of things (as long as you do not put an inch thick coating on a pot) and easy to mix.

i have added many colorants, mason stains, and found some work well, some do not.    have fun trying various colors, the purple works well.

22 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

@natalie at perth if your pictures are on a smartphone, you can very easily log into the forum here from your device and upload the pics straight from there. No need to put them on the computer first, and they’re often the correct size with no adjustment. 

Callie beat me to the same answer.........

Archived