Hydrocal- lightweight or high-strength?

Elise

I am making a plaster wedging table, I’ve read here that hydrocal is the plaster to use. 

Can I use the lightweight formula? Or should I stick with the high-strength formula? The lightweight is slightly cheaper and is on amazon prime so I’d have it by Monday versus waiting longer for it to arrive and paying slightly more for the high-strength formula. 

TIA!

12 minutes ago, CactusPots said:

Hydrocal doesn't have the water absorbing property of plaster.  If you want to use the wedging table for drying clay, definitely plaster.  Use expanded metal as a reinforcement in the plaster.

After more research I decided to order the USG #1 Potters Plaster instead. 

I don’t know what expanded metal is but I will google it. I am also going to search on this forum for tips on building a (small) wedging table. 

Expanded metal is the stuff they build plaster walls with.  You could use hardware cloth, which is a smaller hole version of chicken wire.  I usually wind up working on my wedging table, so I'm building a new bigger one for my new patio working area.  In this case, bigger is better.  Whatever space you have.

Tips on building a wedging table.  Make it as strong as you possible can.  My preferred construction method is to cut the lateral supports 2x4 into the legs 4x4   Screw and glue with Gorilla Glue.  My woodworking skills are not what I would have them be, so the Gorilla Glue covers a multitude of sins.  The top lateral 2x4s only cut half way into the legs, so they stick up 1 1/2 inches.  That will be the thickness of plaster, minus the plywood.  Not so thick, you need the wire.

If you need more info, I could try to do a better job describing it.  My current table is 15+ years with no problems, no wiggle.

OK… Take a couple of 1x4s and nail them to the sides and the front of your table top, calculate the volume, mix a little more plaster than your calculation and pour it into the frame. then take a stiff straight edge, and skim the top level and let it set up. Voila...you have a wedging table.

15 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

OK… Take a couple of 1x4s and nail them to the sides and the front of your table top, calculate the volume, mix a little more plaster than your calculation and pour it into the frame. then take a stiff straight edge, and skim the top level and let it set up. Voila...you have a wedging table.

Thank you Sir! I will follow your directions. 

I’ve read through most all of the “how to” posts on building wedging tables and I’m seeing that you can add hardware cloth in the middle of the plaster to strengthen it. I have some hardware cloth scraps I can use but I don’t see any details on exactly how to add it. 

I guess my question is this- do I pour 1/2 of the plaster, let it firm up, then add the HC, then pour the other 1/2 and let set? 

Or

Do I pour 1/2 then immediately add the HC then pour the other 1/2 and let set?

Archived