Perks of/from NCECA

Diz

NCECA will be in Minneapolis in late March.  Altho I am just a hobby potter, it is a great temptation to visit and see all the potters demos, displays, sales and everything else.  However the price puts me off.  I know that I will/can not spend $150 for a one day visit.  Combined with our MN winter thus far (30+" of snow so far just this month) as well as the horrendous construction going on to enter MSP from the south, I am never excited about the drive into MSP.  I see that Wednesday and Saturday have reduced fees but how much of the show is up and running on those days?  I hate to pass up the opportunity to see so much of the ceramics world 'under one roof'.  The NCECA website lists many on-site activities to occupy the day and I would assume that there would be many ceramic supply businesses with booths there.  Do  attendees benefit from sale prices or special 'NCECA offers"?

For those of you who have attended in past years - what are your 2 best take-aways from your visit?

Thanks!  I am sure I will not be the only newbie there on Wednesday - you can tell a newbie by the big bag of freebies and the smile on their face.

Diz

Check out all of the shows, and pick a few to see, make certain to browse the vendors for tools and equipment, and watch a few of the presentations and demonstrating artists. Connect. . .Connect, with other potters.  Attend the Ceramic Arts Daily reception.

best,

Pres

I'll be part of a panel on low firing process called "How Low Can You Go?" with Paul Wandless moderating, Russel Fouts, Judith Motzkin, and Ken Turner Friday at 10:45 Auditorium C.

I have been attending NCECA since 1971.  The programming is overwhelming with 6 or more talks, panels etc going at once, plus the Fab Lab, trade show, exhibitions etc. I have presented on panels and given lectures from the history of Architectural ceramics from Central Asia to Spain and my partner, Stephanie Stephenson continued Part 2 with Architectural Ceramics from Colonial Mexico to Hollywood. This year, the Honoring Masters, those we have lost this year, include 4 of my  friends. That's what happens if you stick around long enough. There are constant demonstration, 

NCECA is an amazing event and travels around the country. This year in Minneapolis, the Mingei Woodfired influence will be prevelant but so will many events emphasizing community and inclusion. If you live in the area, just trying to see the exhibitions would keep you bust for at least 2 weeks.You may not need the day pass for the shows except for free admission to the museums. The crowd is made up of about 6000 clay enthusiasts, professionals, educators, hobbyists, etc. There are lively clay talks in all the lobbies and bars. The trade show offers discounted books, tools, materials equipment, etc.

It is worth the price of admission. I have been going over the bus routes for the shows, the program and talks for several days. Check out what is happening here.

https://nceca.net

Marcia

Diz,  i attended the NCECA show in tampa in 2011.  actually, i worked the show for an equipment vendor and had a great time talking to thousands of visitors to the booth.  i was introducing a new tool and had so much fun doing it that i missed most of the rest of the show.   my choice, i contacted the vendor in advance and chose to stay in the booth all day.  

perhaps there is a way to work some part of the show  in exchange for admission.   i know there were several offers like this available to local residents then, bet there are some available for you.

I think there are also calls for volunteers for locals to works registration  and other things.

Old Lady, I wish I knew you were working in Tampa. I want to meet you face to face sometime. I did get to hang out with President some some of NCECA.

And worked with him on the Potters Council Board jurying the K-12 show. It is great to meet social media friends face to face. Also met Glazenerd in Pittsburg.

Marcia

Thanks everyone.  I realize there is much to see at NCECA, and in the end, there will not be time to see it all.   I and a friend will be going up one day to see what we have time to experience.  It seems like too good of an event to skip when it is so close.  I am sure we will come home with lots of new ideas ad knowledge (and realizing we have LOTS to learn).  Having never been to something of this scope, everything will be great to see and experience.  Hope to notice many CAD members there.

Diz

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from NCECA. I wanted to say thanks to those who stopped by after our panel to say hello. It is always nice to add a face to a name. 

I thought it was a good NCECA and I enjoyed seeing so many OLD friends. We are getting older every year and it shows. I had three friends 

commemorated in the Past Masters sessions.

So until next year....

Marcia

Archived