Foreign Contaminates in Clay

Ceramic Human

Foreign Contaminates in Clay  

10 members have voted

1. 1. How frequently do you find foreign contaminates in clay?

• Never
    • Once a year
    • 2-3 times/year
    • Once a month
    • Once a week or more

It's pretty rare for me to find anything in Laguna clay, which is what I use mostly.  However, I had 200 pounds of Aardvark clay, Bmix, that had fairly large rock chunks in every single bag.  Called my supplier, and he said it was not his problem.  :wacko:  And the occasional  chunk of metal.   I had more debris in Aardvark over all.  

Roberta

Maybe I haven't bought enough clay yet, but I've never found anything that wasn't supposed to be there in a bag from Plainsman.  I've heard of others having occasional formulation or mix issues, but I've dodged those too.  

Reclaim in a group environment is much more hazardous. We actually weren't allowed to throw with reclaim in high school: someone found stained glass shards the hard way once.  And if you didn't find someone's gross chamois in the reclaim in college, you just weren't trying. 

9 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Maybe I haven't bought enough clay yet, but I've never found anything that wasn't supposed to be there in a bag from Plainsman.  I've heard of others having occasional formulation or mix issues, but I've dodged those too.  

Reclaim in a group environment is much more hazardous. We actually weren't allowed to throw with reclaim in high school: someone found stained glass shards the hard way once.  And if you didn't find someone's gross chamois in the reclaim in college, you just weren't trying. 

In addition to the rotten chamois, a lot of paper towels in our college reclaim.  Found a cutoff wire while wedging once too.  

Wow, I order at least a ton a year for the last few years from Highwater. Never got anything but clay. Just got a pug mill and oops it chewed up my wooden rib. Time to be more careful!! Yes, I will screen my slop from now on and in any shared space with a pug mill everyone would need to push scrap through a screen. I used to run the pug mill for an Art Center, but had forgotten this.

On 2/15/2019 at 6:45 PM, Mark C. said:

I will not be writing that book unless I’m bed ridden in life

the more likely book is on my life underwater,much more exciting

I would also read that!

I have never been diving, but would love to, especially if it involves sunken vessels. 

Archived