^6 Glaze for cake decorating style glazing.

docweathers

Glaze is glass and glass flows so i can't imagine a glaze that can maintain a thick, stay put frosting like consistancy.  I agree piping slip is likely going to be the answer for the effect you are looking for.

i found you a tutorial

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/pottery-making-techniques/ceramic-decorating-techniques/piece-of-cake-how-to-decorate-your-pots-like-a-pastry-chef/

thanks for the info  I have  full supply of piping tools. I really want t do this as a glaze on bisque.... on top of other glazes. 

Would adding alumina hydrate help the glaze keep its form.?  I know it might cause some roughness. Any solution to this?

On 1/6/2019 at 4:46 PM, Magnolia Mud Research said:

I use a low fire grog-less white commercial clay body as a white glaze at cone 10 R.  

You might try a low fire clay body as a stiff slip glaze at cone 6 over (or maybe mixed with) your glaze.   

LT

I have no experience with low fire anything. What cone low fire  clay would you guess might serve as a stiff majolica "cake icing"?

I tried adding 20% alumina hydrate to one of my current majolica glazes. It did absolutely nothing to stiffen up the glaze. 

Does the strategy have any merits i.e. did I not put enough alumina hydrate in the glaze.

The low fire  clay body I use is Armadillo Longhorn White rated cone 05+-.  Use an equivalent clay body from your local source.  Try it on green ware and fire  to cone 6 to see if it is stiff enough.  If not, add some of your regular white clay body to the get the “stiffness “  you want.  That’s the approach I take when developing a new technique. 

LT

On January 6, 2019 at 10:59 AM, docweathers said:

Would adding alumina hydrate help the glaze keep its form.?  I know it might cause some roughness. Any solution to this?

Right idea, wrong ingredient.  New terminology: " refractory glaze."  The C6 premise of adding up to 20% ball clay; need to go just above that 25-30%.  The high CEC will make a paste, the added alumina (ball clay) will hold its shape (refractory). Just theory; you are the test guinea pig. Dr. Frankenstein will go to his laboratory and mix it up for you; try not to get it in your beard.

17 hours ago, PSC said:

Don't let your kiln goddess hear you talking like that ;)

Sometimes I think I'm plagued with kiln devils not goddesses. But I think it's my fault because I'm constantly experimenting with new glazes and glaze combinations. Of course some of don't come out like I hoped. If Iris smart guy I would get 1/2 a dozen glazes I like and use them. But what fun would that be.

On 1/10/2019 at 2:21 PM, glazenerd said:

try not to get it in your beard.

Gee I thought the best way to measure CEC was by taste but of course that sometimes puts it in my beard. My wife hates it when I give her a big kiss with a beard full of clay, but what fun.

Doc, I don't think you can have a glaze that stands up and holds its shape like frosting (too fluid when melted), but white earthenware clay , thinned out a bit to act like buttercream in a pastry tube, would hold its shape and probably self-glaze when overfired. At least it has for me. You'd have to do some tests.

Archived