Sascha Brastoff Surf Ballet plates

Ccampbell

Good day. I own some Sascha Brastoff plates, cup/saucers, etc from the 1950/60s.  The pattern might be called “Mist” (?). If it matters, the colorway I have is surf ballet which is a turquoise color with platinum swirls. On the back it says “oven safe”. I am curious if that can be implied to mean “dishwasher safe”? And if the answer is yes, can you wash in the dishwasher a piece where the glaze is missing (in photo see upper right side)? Clearly I’m not a potter which is why I’ve come to this forum for expert assistance  Thank you for your help!

Cheers!

14B58CB6-0A20-483D-ABDE-D1232A093247.jpeg

I've wondered about this too - what are the possible risks a dishwasher poses? I'm guessing:

• breaking due to thermal shock if the dishwasher uses a 180 degree sanitation rinse
  • breaking due to hard spray of water or bumping other dishes, if the ware is delicate like porcelain

Is it possible that dishwasher solvents would have any impact on the clay or glaze? I wouldn't think so, in a commercially developed glaze, but maybe? 

What else can happen?

8 minutes ago, kristinanoel said:

I've wondered about this too - what are the possible risks a dishwasher poses? I'm guessing:

• breaking due to thermal shock if the dishwasher uses a 180 degree sanitation rinse
  • breaking due to hard spray of water or bumping other dishes, if the ware is delicate like porcelain

Is it possible that dishwasher solvents would have any impact on the clay or glaze? I wouldn't think so, in a commercially developed glaze, but maybe? 

What else can happen?

Commercially developed glazes might be a bit different now vs when we used soap to clean dishes.  Dishwasher detergents are very strong and it's possible that older glazes didn't account for that.  I would play it safe and not put it in the dishwasher just because I've had stuff like Corelle ware chip and explode from bangin around.

I hand wash my dishes now anyway to save on water and electricity which are expensive where I live.

What they ^ said.

Also, most ceramic ovenware for cooking should be placed into the oven when you turn it on so the ware can heat up gradually. Dishwashers go to HOT pretty quickly. Glazes can crackle and craze, clay bodies can break from rapid heating, especially when moisture is present.

Can we see the rest of the piece? Is it a candlestick?

This piece predates commercial clay and glazes: both got popular in the 70,s. 50-60,s  was the height of the studio potter movement. The clay body of this piece is stoneware: with 3-5% iron levels. (  light terra cotta color)  given the period, most likely a modified brick recipe; common practice back then. 

The glaze is very thin - clay color is visible in several places. Suspect where the glaze is missing was actually a defect, not chipping. There is another defect in the upper left, as well as a large blister towards the bottom. That type of blister is usually the result of iron disulfide, and other carbons in the clay: porcelain typically does not produce such defects.

Fortunately this is a heavy walled piece. Chemicals do little to the glass (glaze), but they will leach color from metallic oxides. ( copper). Given the age and visible defects: this piece needs a nice retirement home- curio cabinet. Geriatric care would be nice.

T

Carter:

My grandmother had multiple Roseville (others) pieces from the 50's, up until she died in the 80,s. Butter dishes, pickle crocks, milk urns, lard dishes, plates, etc etc. Her pieces remain in various family curio cabinets: I understand the attachment.

The " safe " standards from 1950, and those today are miles apart. I study clay formulation  books from the 50's, 60,s. Example: lead was still commonly used in glazes: and at times used as a clay body stain. Now we know the dangers of lead. I have seen recipes from those periods with ten percent of copper, cobalt, or iron: now we know that is not healthy.  Asbestos, and candium was also common in clay.

The vitrification standards of 1950 were sub- standard of those today. As mentioned earlier, it was common to use modified brick recipes from that period  that relied more on iron reduction rather than glass formation. In application, meaning pieces from that period had much higher absorption rates than today. Water penetration into a craze line , along with juices from food  is a bacteria breeding ground: which is amplified by the absorption rates of that period. ( not to mention possible separation of glaze shards.)

The reason it was deemed oven safe was due to the iron reduction gas firings of that era.( electric kilns came in the 70's) Iron reduced pieces can handle a fair amount of thermal shock: but that attribute is in part due to the porosity of the body.

T

note: as long as the glaze stays  in tact: keep them for the next generation. Pottery history.

Archived