Griffin Grip Chuck from plumbing part

Pres

All of you now know how much I love using the GG for all sorts of trimming, and assembling. Especially chalices, but lately I have solved another problem using some of my usual sources. .. the plumbing section of the hardware store.  Lately I have been assembling honey jars that I add a spoon to under the lid. I throw a standard flat lid with a nob on top, then had to figure a way of trimming the bottom and adding the spoon without messing up the top or the nob. I tried foam cushions, an old mug, and other things. This is my final solution, it uses a plumbing fixture for repairing pipe. If dampened with a sponge, the lid fits can be tapped to center, pressed down to hold nicely, and will hold tight enough to allow me to trim, to add the bowl and smooth all up. Then I just lightly lift one edge to break the seal and lift off.

PlumbingChuckforTrimming.JPG

The reason I am using this instead of a piece of pipe cut down is the rounded edge, and the two ends are different allowing for different lids. I actually throw my honey jar lids just a bit larger than this, but any lid that the edges go over the piece will work. It also puts the lid up higher away from the GG pads.

Another one of my favorite recycled materials is in the trimming picture. Believe it or not I made the flat trimming tool over 20 years ago. A shop teacher friend had a band saw blade break. He asked if I wanted the old one. I used a vise and hammer to cut the blade into 3-5" sections and used a belt sander to round corners and remove the burrs. Most of the hack saw blades I have used over the years would wear worn spots in the blade eventually. . . not this thing. I think band saw blades are higher grade material.

best,

Pres 

The metal cylinder cuts an oval out of the hollow form for a spoon shape. Then I add a drizzle hole in the back side of the spoon. This sets inside of the honey jar so that it is in honey all the time, when lid lifted off the honey is in the spoon, tilting the spoon with open end up drizzles honey on the biscuit etc. There are some completed one on my blog site that shows the lid laying next to the honey jar

best,

Pres

Doubt that, but then it does work really well. Over the years I have always had trouble trimming these lids for any type of jar. One of the reasons I always threw lids upside down. Not that I have solved this issue for myself, I can move on.

Wonder if I should copyright the spoon idea?

best,

Pres

On 9/17/2018 at 8:29 PM, Pres said:

The metal cylinder cuts an oval out of the hollow form for a spoon shape. Then I add a drizzle hole in the back side of the spoon. This sets inside of the honey jar so that it is in honey all the time, when lid lifted off the honey is in the spoon, tilting the spoon with open end up drizzles honey on the biscuit etc. There are some completed one on my blog site that shows the lid laying next to the honey jar

best,

Pres

Now I get it!! Photos on your blog site are great - if you don't patent it, it should at least be named for you! The Pres Honey Spoon?

Archived