Gare mini kiln

Mysticapex

I just bought a Gare mini kiln with a kiln sitter but the instructions are for a standard size kiln with 4 switches and mine has only 1 I plugged it in and it heats up but unsure how to operate it to get it up to temp.  I plan to use it for clay jewelry. Any help is appreciated I tried to up load photos but said not allowed

I am not familiar with a Gar kiln but am very familiar with that cone sitter.

Buy a box of bar cones for the sitter-These cone will be your turn off temperature (so whatever you fire to -lets say you are going to fire to cone 08-buy a box of 50 small bar cones that are cone 08.

That sitter is made by Dawson and you can look up instructions on how to use it.

its here

https://www.paragonweb.com/files/manuals/Kiln-Sitter Models P & K Operating Manual.pdf

there are also endless tube videos on it as well.

since its only one switch that means its on full-so it must be a very small kiln. Make sure all your work is Bone dry as it will heat up fast-you can prop the lid open with a soft brick of a an hour or so which will slow the heating down to dry things out. Jewelry is usually thin and get dry fast.

It will take at least one fire to test the cone setter-you should also get a few larger cones and put them inside the fire to see how even the fire is and if that sitter cone is also accurate -it may need adjusting-ascovered in Manuel .

How hot do you plan to fire? Look at the serial plate and make sure it'll go that hot.

How many amps does the kiln pull? It needs to be on a breaker that is 25% greater than the pull.

With one switch, it's going to get hot really fast. You'll need to prop the lid, or even keep it open for a while at the beginning of the firing in order to slow it down. Otherwise you're going to blow up all your clay work.

I’m hoping to go cone 5-6 and it’s a Gare Kiln 810 it has a regular outlet plug in. The inside is bigger than a dinner plate. And I like the turning off and on to ramp up. It came with several small cone boxes from 018 to 06 and the clay I want to use is cone 05-06 so I’m hoping it works.  Thank you for the great info and ideas! 

818C12B3-E766-40F5-B623-6A1B6074D92A.jpeg

My guess would be that kiln will last much longer firing to 06-05 than pushing to 8; it's "only" 500 degrees more, however, my understanding is that it's much more work to get that increase in temp. Even the jump from 6 to 8 is significant.

Any road, you'll want to fire your clay to maturity ...that said, I'm excited for you!

cone chart.GIF

12 hours ago, Mysticapex said:

I’m hoping to go cone 5-6 and it’s a Gare Kiln 810 it has a regular outlet plug in. The inside is bigger than a dinner plate. And I like the turning off and on to ramp up. It came with several small cone boxes from 018 to 06 and the clay I want to use is cone 05-06 so I’m hoping it works.  Thank you for the great info and ideas! 

The kiln pulls 18 amps, which means it will not run on a regular household circuit, which is 15 amps. If the plug fits a regular household plug, then it's not the right plug. It should go on a 20 amp circuit minimum, ideally 25 amps. A 20 amp plug and cord should be used, not a 15 amp, or the cord could melt/burn. A 20 amp plug has one of the prongs turned 90 degrees, so it can't fit into a 15 amp outlet.

Once you get the wiring situation figured out, it will go to cone 6, although the elements will wear out more quickly than with a cone 10 kiln.

mysticapex,   your understanding of cone heatwork is not correct.   please look carefully at the chart Hulk has provided here.   cone 8 is much hotter than cone 06.   the cone 8 limit is much greater than you will need.   

it is only saying something like the speedometer on your car, it can go 120 miles an hour but if you only want to drive 30 miles an hour,  it will work.  

EXCEPT!    you must get the wiring correct for it to work safely.  neil is the expert on kilns, wiring and safely using kilns.  do what he tells you so you do not burn down your house.

Archived