Getting ink off the body of a terra sig pot?

I made a pot and covered it with terra sig.   Whoever fired it used a stamp to put the firing date on the pot.  Now it says in black letters' 2 August'.  I assume they thought it was a straight bisque firing, rather than a single-fire pot.   The instructor didn't tell us to leave any notes with the items we fired.

There's no glaze or anything else on the pot.  How do I get the ink off?  I've tried rubbing it with my finger and a bit of water, but no joy.  Do I need to take a lighter to it or what?

hantremmer-

Even if it was a pot to be bisque fired, the person who did the stamping should be informed that their choice of stamp ink contains metallic oxide(s), assuming it was stamped prior to firing the piece. If it was stamped after the firing, and the ink contains no metal oxide(s), it may burn off in another firing. Try having it re-fired. After all, what do you have to lose?

Regards,

Fred

Thanks for the reply Fred.   It must have been stamped after the first firing, to show the date of the bisque (although it wasn't actually a bisque firing).  I will see if I can get it refired by the same place.  I've got no idea what happens to terra sig  if it's fired twice.  It's not a pot I want to glaze.

Hmmm doesn’t ink burn off (if it is the appropriate ink)?

whether bisqueware or greenware or terra sig or slip should the ink not leave any residue?

esp a clay studio I would imagine uses the appropriate ink. 

I would take a picture and fire and see. I am though concerned about the terra sig you rubbed. Might leave some mark. 

One time I used ink thinking underglaze.  The result was bad. Nothing. So disappointed.  Lesson learnt. Ask. Don’t assume!

Would think it would burn off given the circumstances.

Prob stamped on body so kiln packer doesn' have to turn everybody over to read bisque date.

Other folk with terra sig. Ware from that process?

Maybe your pot placed on wrong trolley??

Good luck

Wonder what temp bisque to

Archived