Glaze test question

Switched clays due to moving last year. This time instead of just flat tiles to hang on a string I'm trying to do a lot of free standing glaze testers to test the vertical flow of some glazes. The batch I've done is a fairly sandy clay with mostly white grog, should fire either off white or light beige depending. I want to make new tiles for the other new clay colors I've collected, but do I really have to make upright run tests for those too or can I just stick with flat color test tiles? I'll be testing new red, black, yellow-buff clays also, =will the clay type effect the runny qualities of the same glazes differently?  

Tests are always better with both horizontal and vertical flows. Ir shows the true range of what can happen s well as look like.

The question of will the clay type affect the runny qualities of glaze and the answer is it can very much or not at all so testing is the way to find out.

I agree with Mark with regard to the testing. Do you have an extruder that you can use to squirt out the form for the test tiles? If so, make the slightly angled form as tall as you can with some ridges for other impressions so you can see how the glazes break and pool. If no extruder, can you throw a circular form with an outward shape and an outward extended foot or an inward shape that you can ultimately slice into pieces for your tests? Third option would be to roll a slab, slice it into strips and bend them into an angled L shape. I've seen and used all three methods.

JohnnyK 

My way of testing is to make a cylinder without a base, like the outside of a can, and brush on different glazes at 12 o'clock, 2,4,6, and so forth.  

As the glazes will look different on different clays, it is easy enough to test appearance and runny-ness in one swoop. I would assume they would run differently on different clays.

Archived