newbie tip needed RE underglaze to enhance texture

I have tried using underglazes  and wiping them off to enhance textures on both bisqued  and non-bisqued pieces.   When I try to "wipe them off," a lot of color has already soaked into the raised areas of  clay; or if I try being more precise about where I put the underglaze and then wipe it off, it still  spreads onto and stains the other areas as I wipe.     When I see pics of others' work in progress, it  appears that their pieces have been wiped clean except for the textures.   Do I just live with this or am I missing something in technique.  Thanks for any help 

A lot depends on the underglaze. Some will wipe clean, others will not. This can vary from brand to brand and from color to color. For instance, with Speedball band underglazes, the dark brown will wipe clean, but the black will not.

You could try waxing areas that you want to keep clean, before applying and wiping the underglazes.

I agree with Neil that some just clean off easier ... like black ... while other dye the clay .. like greens and blues. Getting a sharp clean line is one of those ... it all depends ... things. There are probably two dozen basic ways to this with a hundred optional ways to each.

if you could post a picture of the kind of image you are trying it would help.

could you try just a wash of some water plus mason stains or red iron oxide instead of underglaze?   a wash will stay in the deep parts but even if it does not totally wipe off the high spots,it will not be as stubborn as underglaze.

4 hours ago, dAO said:

I will try the water and stains idea

If you do try stains you might want to mix them with some clay and frit to help them bond and fuse to the claybody. (equal parts by volume of stain, epk and 3124 would be a place to start)

Archived