Faking cone 10 MG2/Soldate at cone 6?

Speckled cone 6 oxidation bodies are quite common. They typically use granular manganese to simulate the iron specks that are found in reduction bodies. The trick will be finding a body that is the same color. There are lots out there, though. I would start looking through the catalogs of other clay companies.

^Sorta, yes.  The glaze in question is just a matte white, the speckled look you want comes from interaction with the iron in clay body mainly.

If you're looking for something to experiment with I'd suggest you try ilmenite.  Can be added into your glaze or wedged into your clay body to create speckles.

I deleted the posting of this strand in Studio Operations and Making Work, as it was a replication.

When dealing with any form of Manganese there are some risks. It is considered a poison, but also a needed nutrient. Over exposure can be damaging to human neurology. 

Safety and Handling

GHS H Statement: 
Harmful if swallowed.
Harmful in contact with skin.
Causes skin irritation.
Causes serious eye irritation.
May cause respiratory irritation.

GHS P Statement: 
Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.
IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician.
IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water.
IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.
IF INHALED: If breathing is difficult, remove to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing.
Avoid breathing dust/fume/gas/mist/vapors/spray.

For these reasons, you should be careful of wedging Mn into your clay body, and also be aware of the possible hazard for some uses. An example of in my case was a series of herb mortar and pestles that had rough ridges to grind dried herbs. I stayed on the safe side by not using that the SC 112, because of its manganese content. Other minerals may be used, and not get the same effect such as the Illmenite the was suggested. You may consider a granular form, or course powder, or even mix them as this would get you more of the varied speckles we enjoy in iron spotting with cone 9 and up reduction.

Of course, you have to remember that I am not a chemist, and that I could be over reacting, but. ... . .

best,

Pres

Archived