Cleaning kiln shelves with pressure washer or hose

saladsack

Hi. I bought a used kiln, and it came with 6 shelves. All of the shelves have kiln wash on them that is cracking and falling off, and leaving white powder everywhere. There is no glaze on the shelves at all. Could I clean them off by pressure washing them and letting them dry ? Or will this pwrman damage them? I want them clean because I do not ever plan on using glaze, so I want them to be free of the kiln wash. Thanks!

scraping kiln wash off while wearing a respirator would be better than adding water.  if it is already flaking off, it will be easier than you might think.  stubborn spots should respond to rubbing with the kind of grey brick used to clean grills.  my shelves needed scraping and the stubborn stuff responded best to a small piece of concrete slid over the wash with some coarse grog between the brick and shelf.  by the time the grog became fine grog, it was done.

7 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Do not use water pressure or water. Grind or sand that off.

Use the search function as there has been a lot said on this subject.

I read the other posts about this, I find my situation to be different because I don't plan on using them again with wash, I just want to keep them clean.  The other posts recommended the same method of cleaning, I wanted to know what harm there is in using water, even if I let them dehydrate for a significant period. 

The main reason, to not use water, is that it really won't work.  It will get the stuff, that is flaking anyway, but so would a stiff brush.

The bits that are still well bonded, will need a more aggressive approach.  This  means, using on of the grinding stones, that you can find on any ceramic supply website, or even in some hardware stores, where they are sold with concrete working tools. 

I do rinse my shelves off, but that is only done, after scrapping them down, with the stone, to remove the remaining, residual powder, before reapplying the new wash.

1 hour ago, Mark C. said:

It does not matter that you do not want wash on them again its the same way to clean them no matter what you plan on doing with them if you want them clean. A 4 inch grinder will make short work of this job.

This is really the only way to do it. I have a hand brick that I did it with the first time it was brutal and took a while. The grinder makes the job quick and easy, just wear goggles for eye protection and a respirator. It get's dusty fast. No need to wash them again if you don't want to. If the shelves are really big you might want another cheap blade for backup. I wore mine out pretty fast, but I had glaze drips I was grinding off.

Archived