Too short to throw standing up

Hi everyone, 

I know this topic has been discussed previously but couldn't find it.

I'm a shortie and have a high wheel. At the moment I sit on a bar stool that is adjustable.  I'm too short to stand and throw and if I use some sort of platform I can't touch the pedal. Conundrum, I've just had my 3rd spinal fusion and don't want to stop throwing but I'm finding it very painful to throw using this wheel.

Here comes my question!

Can anyone who has had this problem tell me if a short wheel would be better.

Many thanks 

Andrea 

First, decide if you are more comfortable throwing while sitting (in the adjustable chair) or standing (on some sort of platform). When you have settled on a comfortable position to work, attach a block of wood to the footpad of the pedal to raise it to the appropriate height for wherever your foot happens to be.

I'm guessing the legs can be removed, if so try removing them then add some blocks of wood to raise the wheel enough to clear the foot pedal from the floor. Hopefully that may reduce the height of your wheel.

Good Luck

Looks like the problem is the distance from your hip to the pedal. You could build up the top surface of the pedal, similar to kids bike pedals for shorter little legs.  Add layers of some gluable material until you find your sweet spot, try it for a little while before making permanent. 

Your setup looks heavenly! Never mind the mess - clay ain't dirt :)

I'm a shortie too and had a lot of back issues when I threw sitting. Used different stools, adjusted pedal height etc but still had backache. I think part of the problem when you are short and throwing while sitting is you can't get your tummy right up close to the wheel, this means you are reaching forward more in the upper back area for your arms to reach the center area of the wheelhead. With standing I have less reaching over to do as I press myself right up to the splashpan. For the pedal I drilled a hole in the top of it and bolted a piece of redi-rod into it then added a knob on the top. I had other things contributing to my upper back ache but changing over to standing about 10 years ago has really helped.

Excuse the messy picture but it shows the attachment of the redi-rod.

pedal.jpg

Could someone make you a box to stand on, that has a cutout for the pedal?   In essence a big block of wood with a pedal-shaped game, but which was wider than the wheel so you could take your foot off of the pedal and stand.  Maybe this could also accomodate something that makes the pedal taller.

I've tried to approximate the shape here - this would be the box when viewed from directly above it.

___________________|               |       |

|                                   |_________|      |

|_______________________________|

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately your pedal is affixed to the wheel unlike a lot of electric wheels with pedals on cords. If you build a box to stand on (bringing you closer to wheelhead comfort), then you cant reach the pedal without attaching something to the pedal so your foot/leg is comfortable. Ive seen wheels with stick like shifters (even seen a wheel which used a V6 jeep motor and transmission)affixed to a foot pedal, but if yours is spring loaded to return to the "off" position then you'd have to constantly have your hand on the shifter. Hate to say it but a block of wood bolted to the pedal might be the best option. Im not a fan of throwing standing up; dont like how loosey goosey my elbows feel, but many that do like to pull their wheel closer to a wall so they can lean back against the wall. A padded board screwed to the wall can provide some support on your hiney.

Archived