Coconut Oil To Reduce Clay Buildup On Tools.

I have long been annoyed by the clay that builds up on my tools , particularly my dry throwing tools. I've tried coating them with motor oil, axle grease, WD-40, silicon, green soap and probably a dozen other things I can't remember. I have recently been experimenting with coconut oil, which is about the slimiest stuff I've ever run into. It really works quite well, particularly on porous surfaces like wooden tools, and bisque molds. You have to give the surfaces several coats to saturate them and then occasionally recoat them. 

It ain't perfect, but is far better than anything else I've come up with.

Doc, no girls here. Us women clean tools but us older women love coconut oil for our skin. I may try it on my tools. Montana isn't so harsh on metal like south polluted texas air was. if I left a utility knife outside overnight, it would be rusted by the next morning. The Matamoros dump may have contributed to this. Plus we use to get the smoke from the sugar cane burn off on the Yucatan Peninsula. Anyway I appreciate the idea of keeping tools primed with something to protect them...

Marcia

no girl, 68 plus counting

cleaned my throwing tools as I cleaned my studio in prep for the 600 pounds of porcelain I re-pugged and de aired. Threw some tonight and it was a pleasure!

I use boiled linseed oil for most of the wood tools.  Recoat them about once a year depending on usage.  The treatment is for long term durability (water caused swelling) rather than clay buildup.  It does impede adherence of wet clay by sealing the pores.

For a while I kept a large wet sponge attached to the work table at the wheel.  Wipe the tool against the sponge when needed.  When not at my setup I use the apron or a towel on my lap for wiping the tools. 

I have found that much of the 'cleaning' is not necessary other than the neatness impulse to morale.  I now clean tools only when the tool's performance requires it.  some tools need to be clean only for special effects, others never need cleaning.  

lt

Doc I do not spend anytime cleaning clay tools-I stopped this behavior about 40 years ago with zero negative affects-My ribs are all in bowl on a shelve above wheel-sponges are in water bucket until they stink then I was the whole mess out.I do not clean my throwing wheel only my trimming wheel by wiping with a dry hand the trimmings off.I spend my cleaning time  on dust patrol vacuuming the studio with central vacuum.

I try to keep the floor vacuumed up regularly .-clay on a rib =oh well. 

(cleaning' is not necessary other than the neatness impulse to morale)

​I do not have this disease myself and my impulse is dictated by need or function .

Archived