Paragon Kiln Stopped Working

Hi,

My little old kiln just stopped working. I had the elements replaced and much of the wiring fixed up a couple of months ago. I have been bisquing & firing to cone 6 lately and the other day I went to use it again and it just wouldn't go on. I pressed the kiln sitter button to turn it on and nothing.........

Would burned out elements cause this? The electrician is on vacation for a month! So any ideas about what could need fixing? The local ceramic supply retailer said to try a reset button in the kiln sitter but there isn't

one. None of the house fuses had popped. The elements seem to look ok. Any ideas???

post-67248-0-57388300-1499186600_thumb.jpg

post-67248-0-87357500-1499186615_thumb.jpg

Coupla dumb questions so I'm expecting dumb answers

Did you set the timer?

Did you lift the sitter before pushing the button?

Is it plugged in?

Terry, do you have a multi meter to check the voltage is getting to the kiln? I'm guessing you might not have one? Starting with the simplest, flip the circuit breaker off and back on, they can trip but still look like they are in the on position. If that doesn't work then with the power to the kiln off, open up the kiln electrical cover and check for loose terminals and  burned or blackened looking wires.  Either the power isn't getting to the kiln or there is a loose or burned out wire.

Regarding the kiln sitter, when you push the white button in, does it click and stay in? Can you put a mini-cone in the sitter, put some time on the timer, push the white button, and then force is to click off but turning the timer back to zero? The reason I am asking about the white button is I have seen failures of the button mechanism - it pushes in but doesn't stay in.

The button pushes in ok so the sitter must be ok. I'll check the wires with the kiln off tomorrow.  I did the flip the circuit breaker thing when I checked that,  so it looks like I have to look at the wires. I remember what the burned out wires look like from before the previous repairs.

I looked for a fuse in and around the kiln sitter- no luck. Took the control (on/off, L<M<H) panel off & the wires look ok- no burn marks, I even looked where the plug connects with wires into the control box & no burn marks. I hate to call an ordinary electrician in ($$$/hr) while they learn about kilns so i guess I'll have to wait and either rent space or use the gas kiln. I have a gas kiln too but it takes so long to heat up and cool down & I like using it more in the winter. 

What a week- my car's air conditioner went on the fritz too. I know... could be worse........

Sometimes the contact plates inside the sitter become corroded and don't work anymore. First I'd check the flow of power coming into the sitter. If that's good, but the power doesn't flow out of the sitter, then I'd check the plates. You'll have to take the sitter apart and polish up the contact plates.

Would you be comfortable using a multimeter? A digital one starts around $10, you can pay an awful lot more but for trouble shooting a cheapo one would be all you need. If you are okay with using one, read up on how to use it but they are pretty straight forward. Results from a multimeter would answer a lot of questions, like is power getting to the kiln, past the sitter etc. 

Taking a basic class through a community college or night school would be really helpful in the long run. Obviously the power going to your kiln is nothing to mess around with if you don't know what you are doing. On the other hand, it's not rocket science being able read a meter safely. 

I have a Paragon A 82B. But this problem is new to me. Soooooo, I would suggest you call Paragon and ask for a technician. They can walk to through your trouble. But be sure to have a mutimeter or someone that knows how to operate and read it.

Download a wiring diagram for your kiln from the "Ask The KIln Guru" on their website I list below. Print it out and have it handy when your call Paragon for tech help.

They are very helpful but very busy. Be patient. 

http://www.paragonweb.com/index.cfm

Best wishes.

I don't know if this will help but I have a timer on one of my kilns that looks that that one.  If I turn the timer clear to the max time  it won't turn on, I back it off a little and it will run.  Strange quirk.    Denice

Archived