Element Replacement...& Other Parts?

Hi Everyone,

Looks like my old kiln-sitter Duncan DK1020-2 is in need of new elements (about 90% sure of this) and I am eager to replace them since, of course, I am on a deadline. I placed a call to Paragon already with a couple questions but it's the end of the day and i doubt I'll hear back til tomorrow...or later.

I admit it's my first foray into kiln repair, but I am pretty handy and my boyfriend is bringing his multimeter over so i have faith between the two of us we can handle this; especially given all the videos and the manual information at hand.

Here's my question: As I am going to be replacing all of the elements at this point are there other parts it is advisable to test and/or replace as well since I'm doing this? All the parts appear to be the original ones (from the 1970s/early 80s, yikes). Wondering if i should also plan to replace the power relays, infinite switch or anything else.

Many thanks.

Does that kiln even have relays? There's not much else to change on there. You could replace the switches, but they're not that cheap and may last another 20 years. Check the sitter rod and see if it's thinned out or bent. If it is, replace it. Might want a new set of cone supports, too. As long as the elements are out, replace any broken brick.

Paragon is phasing out the duncan parts. Like relays and switches. I couldn't get infinite switches and they had little of everything else for my Duncan 1029 N. 

I wouldn't replace anything if the kiln is firing correctly. But if you plan on making this kiln work many more years, it might be wise to buy some backup parts before they run out. 

As for replacing the elements, be sure to replace in the correct order. Also, before disconnecting any wires, tag them with corresponding numbers. And take pictures. You can download the schematics from Paragon. 

Best wishes.

The good news is that very little of what goes into kilns is specific to any one brand, or specific to kilns for that matter. You can probably find the same switches online, as they are not made specifically for Duncan kilns. The elements can be made by Euclids if Paragon doesn't have them. You can make bricks from another brand of kiln work just fine if necessary. Wires can be found online. Kiln sitter parts are readily available from Skutt. There shouldn't be any problem keeping the kiln going for many years.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I tested the elements and they seem to be ok. I did, however find out the the wiring was brittle and I think that may have been the issue. One of the terminals just snapped right off when I removed the panel. I got some high temp wire and terminals and replaced the connections from the elements to the control box as well as replacing the bus bars with wires. Hoping that does the trick. I still have to test fire to be sure but the elements are heating up. 

I did call Paragon to ask a number of questions and found out that the infinite switches they have now can be used on the old Duncan kilns; they just have to be installed upside down. I didn't bother to order any additional parts. I figure I'll  try to see if this works first.

Archived