Kick Wheel Has An Uneven Spin

JennieB

I have a used Brent J kick wheel and have recently noticed a definite uneven quality of the spin.  My pots have one side thicker than the other.  I've tried leveling it withs shims.  Tried shimming the bat.  Any other suggestions?  I also have added a motor to it, if that might make a difference to your reply.

Thank you!  

Jennie B

Have you checked to see if the wheel head moves horizontally, like if you can wiggle it side to side? Might need to adjust and / or replace the bearings, they would be located just below the wheel head and flywheel. 

If it is a motorized kick, I would also check the drive puck to see if it has become damaged in any way. Also check underneath the flywheel to see if any clay or other material has stuck to the wheel. One last thought is that the bottom bearings are loose or in poor shape. This would cause more sway in the wheel head itself.

Have you checked to see if the wheel head moves horizontally, like if you can wiggle it side to side? Might need to adjust and / or replace the bearings, they would be located just below the wheel head and flywheel. 

No side to side movement.  Barely discernible up and down, like a kiddy ride.  You only truly notice it when throwing.  I'll check the bearings.  Thanks for the response!

If it is a motorized kick, I would also check the drive puck to see if it has become damaged in any way. Also check underneath the flywheel to see if any clay or other material has stuck to the wheel. One last thought is that the bottom bearings are loose or in poor shape. This would cause more sway in the wheel head itself.

I'll try looking underneath.  I am wondering if it needs to be lubed, as dust might have made a difference?  What ever the case, I appreciate the help!  Thank you

Have any weights fallen off the fly wheel?

Is it balanced? Has it been moved recently? Is the motor contacting the top of the flywheel or the side? If it is resting on the top, does the weight effect the flywheel?

Marcia

Not that I'm aware of, but will look.  And the motor contacts on the side of the wheel.  I'll check things out again.  At least now with all of these suggestions I have more to work with.  Thank you for your time and suggestion.

once you think you have found and corrected the problem, you might try a small experiment.  put a clear glass container with an inch or two of colored water in the very center of the wheelhead.  is the level of the water level with the rim of the glass?   turn the wheel on very slowly and see if you can notice a difference as it turns.  if you can do it slowly enough, try the glass near the outer edge.

if your eyes are really good, you can leave the water clear but it is easier to see with a color in it.

once i had a problem with my electric wheel.  i think someone at a shared studio sat on it or something.  there was a slight difference out at the edge of a plate that did not show up near the center.  i needed a new shaft.

once you think you have found and corrected the problem, you might try a small experiment.  put a clear glass container with an inch or two of colored water in the very center of the wheelhead.  is the level of the water level with the rim of the glass?   turn the wheel on very slowly and see if you can notice a difference as it turns.  if you can do it slowly enough, try the glass near the outer edge.

if your eyes are really good, you can leave the water clear but it is easier to see with a color in it.

once i had a problem with my electric wheel.  i think someone at a shared studio sat on it or something.  there was a slight difference out at the edge of a plate that did not show up near the center.  i needed a new shaft.

Thank you!

Archived