Kiln Plug?

I might buy a kiln.

It's rated for 30 amps. My dryer circuit is 30 amps.

My dryer plug is. 10-30 p

Kiln comes with 6-50r.

Can I change plug on kiln to fit dryer receptacle ???

Both are 3 prong different configuration.......

TY! In advance

10-30p   10 (wire guage/size)   30 (amperage rating)    p=plug

6-50r       6 (wire guage/size)    50 (amperage rating)    r=receptacle)

Change the dryer plug to 6-50R    better known as NEMA 6-50R

One caution: if the wire coming to the dryer is a 10/3 with ground: MAXIMUM 30 amp draw. (should be 6/3) check it.

Check the breaker for the dryer for proper size.

Nerd

If I change dryer plug . I'll need to change receptacle in wall........

Trying not to change dryer receptacle. Less dollars less labor......

Cheaper to change kiln plug .........

Breaker for dryer is 30 amp. Kiln is 30 amp......

Make a short extension with a plug you need to plug into the existing receptacle and a recepticle matching the plug on the kiln. Keep it as short as you can. Not sure I could read my sentence fast three times. Hope it makes sense.

You need a 20-30% safety overrating and 30 amps on a #10 wire will not work if the kiln draws 30amps.I suggest seeing what the wire size is not the circuit breaker size that way you can figure this out.

You need #8 wire for that extra rating on a 30 amp draw to get your 40 amps-you can still run it at 30 amps on a 30 amp breaker but it may toast it soon-Smaller breakers are fine just NOT larger ones than wire size is rated for.

National Electric Code specifies that appliances with constant lengthy draw (such as a kiln) must be fused (including all the associated wiring) at 125% of the appliance rating. If the kiln is rated for 30 amps, then the circuit must be fused and rated at 37.5 amps, which doesn't exist, so step up to the next size, i.e., 40 amps. A 30A dryer circuit is probably #10 wire. A 40A circuit needs at least #8 wire if less than 50 feet to the panel, or #6 if more than 50 feet to the panel. Once you put in the 40A circuit, installing the 6-50 receptacle to match the kiln is not a code problem. In view of the code issues, the kiln should not be plugged into the existing dryer circuit even with a plug change.

I haven't calculated wire sizes yet....

Mfgr States. 50 amp circuit breaker.

Is changing circuit breaker from 30 to 50 a drop in (ish) project or more complicated.....???

I was planning calculating for cable for longer ext...... And change plug since it's a custom job anyway......

Thing is. I think I'd be happier with converting a 1227 to gas..... I have the blower burner. Free kiln body, Bricks in yard....Just need to figure out gas plumbing, tank, down draft details, And shelves

Someone just dangled a sweet deal on electric kiln ......... Nonetheless valuable info.

National Electric Code specifies that appliances with constant lengthy draw (such as a kiln) must be fused (including all the associated wiring) at 125% of the appliance rating. If the kiln is rated for 30 amps, then the circuit must be fused and rated at 37.5 amps, which doesn't exist, so step up to the next size, i.e., 40 amps. A 30A dryer circuit is probably #10 wire. A 40A circuit needs at least #8 wire if less than 50 feet to the panel, or #6 if more than 50 feet to the panel. Once you put in the 40A circuit, installing the 6-50 receptacle to match the kiln is not a code problem. In view of the code issues, the kiln should not be plugged into the existing dryer circuit even with a plug change.

Thanks. After more research and all your advice. I'm going to pass on kiln . I live in rented town home.... I'm going to stick with gas conversion in back yard.

Archived