Giffin Grip Adapter For Large Platters

I have gotten into making large platters lately, which are far too large to trim on my giffin Grip. I made three new fingers for my GG that grip the platter from the inside versus the outside. This works well because the inside of my platters tend to be more round than the edges. we are nothing more than three metal rods with some stiff but not rigid closed cell foam glued on the end of the rods. I don't know what kind of foam is. It just came on some junk I bought delivered by the UPS man. the dark blue layer is stiffer and provides some extra support for the softer clear foam. I used a 6000 glue to stick it all together. Pictures are attached. They pretty self-explanatory

post-6406-34799_thumb.jpg

post-6406-0-09683400-1459403035_thumb.jpg

post-6406-0-33470400-1459403071_thumb.jpg

I just cut the disc from plywood, sand edges, drill holes for the pins and varethane. been making my own bats since 1971.I still have them.

If your platter is that large, I would definitely not trim it on three points. Use some support like foam or sponges in the center.

I use chucks for my orbs but a wide chuck may work for your platters. I would make it wide enough and flare it out to support the platter and secure the chuck with a griffin grip.

Marcia

I also have the monster griffen grip for platters-long story short-Myself and a few other potters asked Brian (owner of griffin grip co) to make large extension arms for us.  This was long ago. We lobbied for a decade . Then as my pots got smaller as I no longer like doing huge forms he introduced a huge giffen grip-I use it about once a year now as it hangs on the wall next to trimming wheel. 

It only makes since if you do a lot of large platters -mine all tend to be just under 18 inch and I use a homemade bat and tap center with clay balls holding it. Its a fast set up for me-quicker than the griffin platter trimmer.

Ps -that huge griffin is made from masonite my least favorite material .

in looking at my description of the large platter adapters, I think I was a bit too brief. 

The foam feet rest on the inside bottom of the platter and push outward against the inside of the walls.  They quickly adjust to a wide range of platters and centers them just as easily as the factory provided feet center other pots from the outside

Archived