Paint Over Glaze Fired Item.

cbarnes

I painted a piece with underglaze and dipped in clear then fired at cone 5. I'm not happy with how the paint turned out (colors). Can I repaint and refire??? Would I use underglaze again and redip? Or use a colored glaze such as stroke and coat or potters choice glazes? Still learning the ropes. Thrown a lot away and would love to avoid that if possible to salvage. Thanks

It's going to be a crap shoot, with the odds favouring the kiln gremlins.  Clay sometimes bloats on refiring to glaze temps but if you only went to 5 with a cone 6 body you should be okay there. No telling what coloured glazes are going to do overtop of the clear, the clear glaze is going to effect the look of any glaze you put overtop of it.  Also, more risk of the glaze(s) running off the pot if you are adding another layer. I don't know what putting underglazes over glaze then glazing over that would do, I have never done that. Easy for me to say to just chalk this up to experience but that's honestly what I would suggest. 

If you do try and rescue it then I would fire it on a scrap piece of clay underneath it just in case the glaze runs off the pot.

No. You really couldn't apply underglaze to a fired piece. Even re-glazing is only marginally successful for anything beyond small touch-ups. You don't have to throw it out, but to get what you are hoping for making another and learning is the way pottery works.

Yeah.... As Matthew stated, underglazing over a glaze doesn't really work.  The times that I have experimented with it, it "foams" up a bit (bloats?).

Going over a glaze with a glaze, does work, but as others have mentioned, it is a crap shoot.  I've had pieces turn out better after refiring, and I've had pieces that turned out worse.  Clay bodies also have a limit to how much firing they can take.  I had a student piece, and she didn't like how the glaze(s) were turning out.  So she'd make some touch ups, and we'd refire.  I think I fired it four times total.  The last time, it developed a small hairline crack towards the base.  I said, "I hope you're happy with it this time, because I am not firing it again..."  She was happy with it, and it turned out amazing.  

Just a side note-This is glaze or underglaze not paint. Potters generally use glazes. I know you can paint it on with a brush but its not paint.Thats for other things like houses and portraits.Its a small point but a crucial one.

IF I were going to try a get something from a pot I didn't like the glaze on I would pick a dark opaque glaze and glaze the whole thing in that. This would give me the best chance of covering up the glazes underneath. You won't know exactly what you are going to get since as other people of said the first glazes will interact with the new layer. Then Fire it in a tray so if it dies I don't kill the kiln. Then I would use Porcelaine PAINT and add the design back to the piece. Porcelaine is a brand of PAINT that you bake in your oven. It comes in lots of colors and goes on like acrylic paint. Things to remember about it though are not to use it on food contact surfaces since it is not as hard as ceramic glaze it could chip off and into food and I would recommend hand washing. I use it to add touches of color to my jewelry pieces and sometimes my boxes.

T

Just a side note-This is glaze or underglaze not paint. Potters generally use glazes. I know you can paint it on with a brush but its not paint.Thats for other things like houses and portraits.Its a small point but a crucial one.

Now imaging the uphill battle of being in a smaller town where the paint-a-pottery place is called "Just Add Paint". Not to mention the number of people asking "why don't you do ceramics?" because somehow "ceramics" is what is done there. Sigh/rant

Archived