Check The Bag Before Leaving The Store

oldlady

making a bucket of glaze as a gift for a potter friend. level of  talc is very low.  trip to store and i just came back from the clay supply store and found that the 5 lbs of talc is a dark grey.  talc (in my experience) should be white.

checked the website and see that both kinds of talc for sale are pictured as white.

called the store and found they are closed until jan 4 or so.

many, many bad words......................

thanks, mark.  the website names Pioneer but the picture shown is white.  

still have the rest of the original 50lb bag at home in WV. that is probably Nytal, it is from the 70s.   did not bring enough down with me.

since the glaze is going to be a cordovan brown, i will try the grey stuff.  my worry was that it was an entirely different material.  

The only difference is in satin Matt glazes for me.

Your nytal which is very white (you sent me a sample last year) and pioneer is only the grey color -both should work the same for 99% of glazes

I urn for the old days when talc and a few other materials where always the same.

There have been so many talc sin the last two decades due to supply issues.

I drove 3 hrs to the supply sales, picked up 30 boxes of clay some kiln shelves and assorted glazes. They brought it out to the truck on a pallet,  I loaded it and drove 3 hrs home. I then noticed they forgot to put the 45 lb bag of dry glaze on the pallet and I forgot to ask for it. The company was good and paid the shipping on the bus to send it to me.

Archived