Glaze Cone Firing Question

AndreaB

Hi everyone,

I'm a real newbie. I've had my electric kiln for only11 months. I e been playing with double and triple dip glazing and thought that I could only fire stoneware glaze that I get pre made up from local suppliers (SA). Having pondered over all the posts and recipes I'm now thinking that I can fire the stoneware to a different temp. Is this correct? I see lovely effects from glaze pics. Also can I do reduction/oxidation firing without modifying my kiln?

What cone are you firing to now?

Altering the firing temp. may mean that the clay dos not vitrify and would, if lowering the temp., be more porous.

Reduction in an electric kiln is not usual, though a little may be induced by firing within a sagger, lots of posts here on vitrifying clay, and various related stuff that would help you to explore this further. Even lists of basic ingredients to help you get started with making your own glazes.

YOu couldbuy some midfire clay if that is where you want to go. More economical firing.

What cone are you firing to now?

Altering the firing temp. may mean that the clay dos not vitrify and would, if lowering the temp., be more porous.

Reduction in an electric kiln is not usual, though a little may be induced by firing within a sagger, lots of posts here on vitrifying clay, and various related stuff that would help you to explore this further. Even lists of basic ingredients to help you get started with making your own glazes.

YOu couldbuy some midfire clay if that is where you want to go. More economical firing.

What cone are you firing to now?Altering the firing temp. may mean that the clay dos not vitrify and would, if lowering the temp., be more porous.Reduction in an electric kiln is not usual, though a little may be induced by firing within a sagger, lots of posts here on vitrifying clay, and various related stuff that would help you to explore this further. Even lists of basic ingredients to help you get started with making your own glazes.YOu couldbuy some midfire clay if that is where you want to go. More economical firing.

Your clay should indicate a firing range, remembering that  the lower end will give a more porous clay body, if you have not a large supply of this try to obtain a midfiring clay which will cut that worry out. If non functional stuff, not so important. Are you hoping to go to C 5-6 or much lower? Lots of info here on C 6 glazes and the effects of firing down etc.

South Australia, Brett at the Pugmill is very helpful.

There was a post here for beginners glaze ingredients list. Search for that, would be very useful.

Remember that your kiln and firing schedule can alter glazes considerabley so do a lot of testing as you go. Maybe get some mid range commercial glazes and start by testing some of your own at that temp  as you continue to fire with what is known to be successful ie the commercial stuff., if you get my drift..

Good luck.

Archived