Kiln Malfunction During Glaze Firing...can I Re-Fire?

Mudrunner88

Also, I think that there should be a chimney sitting right on the kiln. extending up into the flue and there is where I used to dampen...

I'd like to lift this post and post it under gas kiln not reaching temperature.

As above, it's lost in the title of this post.

Also, I think that there should be a chimney sitting right on the kiln. extending up into the flue and there is where I used to dampen...

I'd like to lift this post and post it under gas kiln not reaching temperature.

As above, it's lost in the title of this post.

Thanks, done!!

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my original post of Oct 17th and offered their suggestions of whether I could refire after a kiln malfunction.

I had to replace all the elements in my kiln, the thermocouples and a relay -- major work! -- but it was necessary. And then with my fingers crossed I tried refiring all the pieces without doing any touch-ups on the glaze, as you suggested. I wanted to thank you all for your advice and encouragement! They all turned out as I expected they would.

Here's the piece I was most worried about. It was the largest platter I've thrown up to now (15" at the rim), and I wanted it to turn out well.

So my thanks to all who advised me. I'm so glad I came to you for help

post-71832-0-00964800-1446990991_thumb.jpg

post-71832-0-00964800-1446990991_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I just checked my glaze kiln.  I fired it to cone 6.  I turned temperature to high.  The timer had 7 hours left.  However I check it this morning and it had turned off by timer not to cone.  Will my items be okay?  Too hot to open atm.  I assume if not to temperature they will have matte finish.  What are your recommendations?  How can I tell if I need to refire the whole load or if the items are okay?

Since the timer shut down kiln the kiln is underfired. If you have some cones in fire you will be able to see how much maybe?

its possiable the kiln turned off just before the temp was perfect-until you see the cone (in the sitter) of on a shelve ion cone pad (which is best ways to see what happened)

I cannot say yet what to do.

If the pots are looking great they are done.

If the pots are underfired and dull/funky then just reset the new cone in sitter and refire them-go thru the early stages slowly as they the pots are tight (meaning almost fired).

always try to have enough time on the timer to get the fire over with as its just a safety backup off switch .

Archived