My Kiln Is Dead! Haaalp! :'(

So, something TOTALLY WEIRD happened last night.

I was running a bisque yesterday, and around the evening, I went to check on Fred to see if he shut off. He did, but the sitter didn't trip. I was like, "HAUUGHH!!" because I thought the dang wiring tripped the breaker AGAIN, even though it just got fixed! So, I checked the box and no problems were indicated by the switch, but I reset it anyway, just in case. I went back outside to see if Fred's light was on, and it was, but very dim and kinda flickery. And when I turned his switches on "low" or whatever, the light shut off completely.

Wat

So, I opened my kiln this morning, and the pyrometric cone was straight as an arrow, and barely darkened. My terracotta bisque was pretty dang underfired, too.

Ummm....

Help, pleez... O.o

Welp, I called Skutt and it turns out my poor old man needs a new switch block with a plunger. I also discovered that he is A LOT older than I first thought...there is a chance Fred could be around fifty years old!! Holy cow, no wonder his brain fried up so bad. He's a Skutt 250, so vintage indeed. Poor guy. Welp, lesson learned!

I'm just curious, Guinea. How much did that cost? Did you get it from CAC? I think your Fred is just a wee bit younger than my Sylvia. Had to replace one of her 3 heat switches back in June. Ooooweee! Them ain't cheap! Let me tell you! :o

ETA: Never mind. Just saw you comment in the side bar. ;)

Well, the part was $70.00, and I ordered from Skutt directly, because I didn't want to risk any mistakes in the part on behalf of an outside company--learned that lesson the haaard way. If I need new switches and essential parts like that, I'm gonna stick to that route, since Fred is so old and needs special care. 'Sides; Skutt's in Portland and that's just a hop, skip, and a jump away from us, shipping wise. :)

Archived