Kiln Prop Broken.

Well I got some nice new 12" props so I can use the kiln more efficiently with my larger work. Before I even got to try them out one decided it did not want to live in the world anymore and broke in half.

Is there any kind of glue/cement I could use to stick it back together? If not I will probably still use it as the weight and ragged cut will  probably keep it from falling apart but it would be great to stick it back together.

I should probably know what they are made out of but... I do not. Here is the link to where I bought them from if that is any help.

http://www.sedgefieldpottery.co.uk/index.php?option=com_tienda&view=products&task=view&id=723&filter_category=88&Itemid=34

Depending on the size, I have cut a kiln post into smaller working pieces. If it were a 6" post, cut it down to 2- 2" post.

If you don't have access to a grinder then maybe you couls find a store that sells and cuts tiles. Our local big box hardware will cut something for about 50 cents a cut.

As to gluing, I don't know if I'd trust it under a shelf load of pots.

Wyndham

When kiln props break before the second firing I return them to our vendor Laguna for replacement.

It's happened once to a 12" prop and once to a shelf.  Laguna gladly replaced them.

Well I got some nice new 12" props so I can use the kiln more efficiently with my larger work. Before I even got to try them out one decided it did not want to live in the world anymore and broke in half.

Is there any kind of glue/cement I could use to stick it back together? If not I will probably still use it as the weight and ragged cut will  probably keep it from falling apart but it would be great to stick it back together.

I should probably know what they are made out of but... I do not. Here is the link to where I bought them from if that is any help.

http://www.sedgefieldpottery.co.uk/index.php?option=com_tienda&view=products&task=view&id=723&filter_category=88&Itemid=34

Some of my stilts have broken in the past. I have used a tile cutting wheel on a circular saw to shorten them-safety goggles, and heavy gloves required! Short pieces I often use as risers for odd expansion heights setting them on top of stilts that are just a hair too short-sideways.

Once our studio was short by one eight inch kiln post.

Someone applied a Cone 6 glaze between a number of shorter posts to make an eight inch post and fired it.

I have to admit this made the shorter kiln posts into a single eight inch post at room temperature, which they found convenient.  But these posts would act as separate pieces when the kiln was close to Cone 6.  So if the break in your piece is still structurally sound when stacked, you can do something "convenient" like this.

Archived