Celadon.

I have been using a celadon recipe from Pinterest and it crazes horribly... Like the worst I have ever seen. I like the blue/aqua shades better for celadon. I use the amaco one but it is too green, I don't like how it looks. Does anyone have a celadon that they fore cone 5-6 that doesn't craze easily or have other advice for me? Thanks!

First off, cone 6 'celadon' glazes are not true celadon glazes. They are celadon in color, but that's about it. True celadon glazes are fired in reduction, and use iron oxide for their color. They can be as tricky as copper reds to get the right color. A cone 6 celadon is simply a clear glaze that use green stain and/or copper to give the celadon color. Nothing wrong with that, but be aware of the difference.

You can get a nice celadon color from just about any cone 6 clear glaze with the right combination of stains and/or copper carbonate. So if you have a good clear recipe with the surface qualities you like, and that fits well on your clay body, try making it a celadon color.

If you want to tweak the glaze you've got, start by adding equal parts EPK and flint in 3% (each) increments. The added clay will also help keep all that frit suspended.

For ease of discussion, here's the recipe from the link rebbylicious provided : original link.

Ferro frit 3195: 70%

EPK:                   8%

Wollastonite      10%

200 mesh silica 12%

Add:

Epsom salt  0.25%

325 mesh Bentonite 2%

Copper Carbonate 0.10%

Mason stain #6201 celadon 0.50%

Could it maybe be overfired?  I would expect this glaze to melt around maybe cone 3?

This is not recently thrown, (so please ignore the strange bottom of this bowl) but it's the celadon, and it shows how badly it crazes. You see the dark spots from me using it to pour and scoop glazes since I obviously can't eat from this bowl.

Why can't you eat from this bowl?

The japanese have been using crazed potttery with food for centuries ?

As long as it is cleaned and sanitized appropriately I don't see why you can't eat or drink from this bowl?

I have a few pieces that are starting to show coffee and tea - patina. On purpose...

Some crazing can be caused by fast cooling.

It could be cooled too fast in a small electric. Try putting a shelf near the lid over the load, and M=If you have it, put some fiber or insulating bricks on the top of the kiln to hold in the heat.

And to make Neil happy, call it a Faux celedon. I posted my Faux Celedon recipe last time this topic came up.

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/2676-cone-56-celedon-glaze/?hl=celedon

Marcia

And to make Neil happy, call it a Faux celedon. I posted my Faux Celedon recipe last time this topic came up.

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/2676-cone-56-celedon-glaze/?hl=celedon

Marcia

Thanks, Marcia. Finally, someone is concerned about my happiness!

That's a really nice glaze and a beautiful pot!

Some crazing can be caused by fast cooling.

It could be cooled too fast in a small electric. Try putting a shelf near the lid over the load, and M=If you have it, put some fiber or insulating bricks on the top of the kiln to hold in the heat.

Marcia

These are gorgeous!!  I will check out your recipe 

Thank you for the knowledge regarding Faux glazes. 

I never knew that a proper celadon was reduction and iron.

I have a cone 10 oxidation that was crazing on me but I guess it might be different with a cone 6. I did some glaze calculations and changed some of the Na to Ca and I think added in a bit of Zn too to get rid of half of the high expansion oxides. Also upped the silica a bit I think as adding the Ca removed the Si that came with feldspars.

Still crazing very slightly but much better than it used to be. Worth while going into the chemistry and getting some knowledge as it really helps when problems arise.

Just my thoughts, probably not much help xD

(never knew celadon was reduction and iron.) just call it faux celedon

This is another nail in the subject coffin that many cone 6 electric glazes are faux cone 10 reduction glazes.

I have always thought of that temp range having its own unqiue snappy glazes (cone 6 Oxidation) until so many commerical glaze companies switched over to look alike cone 10 copy cats.

The demand (market ) must be in look alikes?I wonder why this is?

Mark

For years, cone 6 was considered the realm of hobby potters, park district programs, and art fair folks, all of which were looked down upon by the university folks and academic types. High fire reduction was considered by most to be the 'best' way to make functional ware, as it was the method learned by most 'educated' potters. I was one of those people. When I was in college, cone 6 was never presented as a viable option for making pots. It wasn't until the reality of making pots in the real world reared its ugly head that I embraced cone 6 electric firing. As cone 6 glaze technology improved, and more and more people switched to cone 6 electric due to the zoning and financial difficulties of firing with gas, they started to copy cone 10 reduction glazes so people could have the look of the 'better' cone 10 glazes. Pure marketing genius. But now that cone 6 has earned some respect, people are realizing that there is just as much, if not more, that you can do with cone 6, and that you don't have to copy cone 10 to make great pots. I have a 'faux celadon' glaze in my studio that is much brighter than any true celadon, and I prefer it. However if I had a good fat waxy fake shino, I could totally go for that.

Neil, I fired ^6 reduction for 20 years in a University program 1980-2000. This came after the '73 oil embargo and moving to a new building, building new kilns, and for a brief moment I had an assistant shared with sculpture. However, the firing schedule had to fit into an 8 hour time frame as dictated by the dept. head. So I dropped the temperature for ^9 to ^6 and worked out nice looking glazes and a mature clay body. So not all academics are cone snobs. It is more and more popular for many programs as the price of gas goes up and the glazes look the same and mature bodies are equally strong.

Marcia

So not all academics are cone snobs. It is more and more popular for many programs as the price of gas goes up and the glazes look the same and mature bodies are equally strong.

Marcia

I totally agree. That's why I said 'most'. I think in another 20 years cone 10 will be rare compared to now.

I think you are right , Neil. Much of the world's pottery that is actually used comes from folk traditions using earthenware.

In the more industrialized countries use higher temperature clays. China or maybe Thailand were very early at achieving high temperatures with aerodynamic wood kilns.

But as resources on the planet dwindle, we may have to lower temperatures. Just some green things to think about.

Marcia

I think you are right , Neil. Much of the world's pottery that is actually used comes from folk traditions using earthenware.

In the more industrialized countries use higher temperature clays. China or maybe Thailand were very early at achieving high temperatures with aerodynamic wood kilns.

But as resources on the planet dwindle, we may have to lower temperatures. Just some green things to think about.

Marcia

As cone 6 becomes the new cone 10, will cone 3 become the new cone 6?

Many industrial ceramic manufacturers are currently firing their ware at Cone 2, which is a huge energy savings over Cone 6, let alone Cone 10.

Maulik Oza is part of a ceramic studio made up of architects in Ahemedabad, Gujarat India. 

http://cone6pots.ning.com/profile/MaulikOza

They have a local ceramic manufacturer fire much of their ware to Cone 2 on rail cars in a 60 foot long tunnel kiln.  For simplicity they buy their Cone 2 casting clay body and matching glazes from the manufacturer.

As cone 6 becomes the new cone 10, will cone 3 become the new cone 6?

Marcia

Archived