Going To Be Brave Like Marcia ....

I admire Marcia's willingness to post images of her work for scrutiny ... so .....

I have set off on a journey away from my usual line of work, into something new for me. Not that I won't return to my patterned work, but right now this interests me. ( Yes, its that attention span thingy again :D)

I have always been mesmerized by the layers ... whether it is rock, or archeology or family units ... the layers that show the history are always compelling to me.

SO .... this is my second iteration of layers ... layers of information I guess.

These are at the bisque stage so the colors of each layer are not really apparent in most of them. I am trying to get enough work made to fill my kiln so I can do a high fire, but before I make generation 3 of these I would like some feedback/constructive critiques.

Is the idea of layers coming through? Is there any mystery or am I being too obvious?

I also have them up in my gallery if it is easier to see there.

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

post-1585-0-04141700-1386187886_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-17977000-1386187896_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-02642600-1386187907_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-04141700-1386187886_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-17977000-1386187896_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-02642600-1386187907_thumb.jpg

It is an interesting direction to pursue after your experience in the Eternal City. I understand the layering. I find the two on the right to be the most interesting. I can't decide if you need a deeper shadow like the center one or if the subtle layers of the one on the right work.

Maybe a more subtle color transition than the one of the left? What do you think? Looking forward to seeing them finished.

Marcia

The one on the left is going to be really, really dark ... if it shows up that dark in bisque it is usually too dark finished. I think the one on the right would have been better if I had not 'neatened' it up so much. All the layers are still too thick though so that will be a challenge to go 50% thinner at least. Those were made with paper porcelain so I am going to make the next batch with pure Southern Ice.

I like the center one the most, and would love to see that many layers with the looser look in a 'more color' version - maybe there's more color to come out in the high fire?  The first gives the appearance of 'separate' vessels.  At first look, I didn't care for the one on the right, but looking again, the smoothing/flattening does make the piece more singular.  Not sure how you're forming them, but it might be interesting to add some partially hidden textures in the 'underneath' sections.

Alice

I'd love to see finished work. Hard to make judgement call/aesthetic opinion on not finished work.

Sure the layers are self evident. Looking form only I see a "story". There is a nature quality about it, I'm more inclined to layers of onion or artichoke more so than flowers, petals. Think flower associations not the idea.... The closed forms feel symmetrical, the open form less so. I'm more attracted to the open form. Im interested if you have more forms less symmetrical. I'm more drawn to the layers with more space between. But again it's hard to form a more concrete opinion without seeing finished piece, your work is (wh-t I've seen ) is more color driven, layers of color, interested to see how this form inter plays with your color designs

Are these pinch pots? Thrown and then nested? Just curious.

Anyhow, I really like the concept. Curious about a couple things...

1) Are you hoping to join the layers, or leave a definable gap? The forms will evoke very different natural objects for me, dependent (Micah, agate, other minerals if joined, marine invertebrates and plants otherwise).

2) Any thoughts of using these as luminaries? It looks like the delicate forms and porcelain material could lead to layers of light in various intensities... could be spectacular.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the final product.

Here are images fresh from the second round of testing ... now you see how the color pops with a bit of heat!!

That first one that was quite dark at bisque temps is very ugly now ... not even taking a picture of it.

This second round of tests shows some techniques did improve ... still a long way to go. Need those layers thinner!

post-1585-0-44293700-1386868200_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-72271400-1386868209_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-87296000-1386868218_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-44293700-1386868200_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-72271400-1386868209_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-87296000-1386868218_thumb.jpg

What I see, Chris, is that this is a semi closed form.... So the inside becomes a bit ambivalent. Do you want the viewer to see inside or not?

And if the viewer does look inside, what's there to see? Right now, the outside makes a much stronger statement than what's going on inside.

So, it seems to me that  the inside presents an unanswered question. I think this is a classic case of "make more pots!" And I think you naturally work on this dichotomy

as you make more pieces. What happens if the next pieces are more open, or more closed? What do they look like if they are turned upside down?

The third piece seems to be the most balanced as my eye moves up to the rim area. The white undulating layers make for great rhythmic movement in

the piece. The areas of color accentuate the movement without overpowering the layers. And this all makes me want to turn the piece around, sure sign

of an interesting pot. 

All in all this looks like an exciting direction! Lots of possibilities!

I love the first one - which appears to be the second one from your original post.  The slightly muted colors don't distract from the layers and edges.  The more intense color in the second distracts from what I think you're trying to convey, i.e. the layers.  I like the third, but the more brittle feel of the 'broken' edges says something different to me - I like the flowing feel of the rolled-to-thin edge.  I agree that thinner will make them even better.  And the idea of something hidden inside was what prompted my previous suggestion of texture between the layers.  I was thinking of very tiny occaisional texture marks, like hidden treasures peeking under the layers.

I love your work!  We make frequent trips to Raleigh; I keep thinking of seeing if I could come visit you!

Alice

Archived