#21 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

What grit of sanding pads would you recommend for the bottoms of stoneware pieces?
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#22 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,986 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

I use 100 and 200 grit for most work, sometimes 400 grit for a really fine finish.  I wet sand . . . dip the pad in water and then sand.  Works nicely for cleaning bisque, too.  I get mine from toolocity.

http://www.toolocity...shing-pads.aspx

#23 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

For those who do not put it on their wheel, what kind of sander do you use? can you take a pic? My husband works in a machine shop and he has a few choices. Once we figure it out, I will just be going there with each batch to get them done. 

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

#24 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

Here is another non commercial glaze I had mixed at Glaze mixer. This one is a Matte.  It shows how uneven it is because the clay body is dark.  I have watched videos on applying glaze but they all seem to dip and have a beautiful Medium layer. 

????

This look really nice as it is.

#25 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the link - :) Bciske :)

Thanks Mart   

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users