24 replies to this topic

#21 Ifnotisabelle

Ifnotisabelle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew South Wales

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

My bag wall was not removed and my kiln was only half filled.

#22 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

The hood is not too close to the kiln, as long as the chimney is a straight pipe going up. There is nothing blocking the flow if air. I would say that you have two main problems. First, if your tank is frosting up, then it's too small for your kiln. The gas flow is being affected. Second, the chimney on the kiln is too short for that type of burner. You're not getting enough secondary air in to the mix because there's not enough draw from the chimney. This is possibly the cause of the back-burning you're getting from your burner.

As for the damper, it is very important that you have it in the right place during the firing. You can't just put it all the way open, or half way open. There are specific settings, which will change with each firing depending on how the kiln is stacked. For starters, if the kiln is properly designed, you should never have it all the way open. You're just letting out heat. During the early stages of a firing you will want to have it open only a couple of inches. As the kiln gets hotter, you have to adjust it to keep the pressure in the kiln at the correct level. When you go into reduction, you'll need to set the gas and air where you need it, then adjust the damper so you have just a touch of back pressure out both spy holes. This is not a set it and leave it kind of kiln. It will require adjustments every hour or more until you learn how to fire it. Once you become more familiar with the kiln, it will require less tending.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#23 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

umm... call the previous owner?

#24 Ifnotisabelle

Ifnotisabelle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew South Wales

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

Only got his email and it does not work anymore.

Though this thread has given me some food for thought. I think I will try different things to see if it works, focusing on improving ventilation and ordering in a pyrometer.

Thanks everyone.

#25 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Don't rely on the pyrometer for actual firing temperature or heat work. Use cones for that. But it's a great tool to see how changes you makes with the kiln settings affect the rate temperature climb.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas kiln, cone 4, firing, temperature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users