Studio Tools?

No, not a jab at Jim. He's a good fella & potter. I wish I could get down to the Georgia clay fest and meet him.

I have found that any tool that helps me through 20 or 30 mugs or bowls is a welcome tool.I also extrude handles which my customers seem to like.

As others have said, set up is the key, but I have used some electrical tape to shim one of the ears for better centering of the GG itself.

Wyndham

While I use and love my purchased tools, a few of my favorites are re-purposed items. American Express sends me an application every so often and they include a fake card. They make lovely ribs and trimming tools. Often eyeliner pencils come with a rubber, smudging end. These work great for pressing seams. As Pres suggested, old pairing knives work wonders!

now that i have found my way back to september 2013 after taking the giffin grip detour suggested above, i noticed that the photos posted do not show the simple addition of lines drawn with a sharpie to mark the divisions of six that are possible on your grip.

i use my grip to trim and then immediately add slips that i carve through, (see avatar).  if you put a straight line from each  of the three slider grooves to the opposite side of the grip top you will have marks for a division of three.  add ones between those and you have six.  they do not have to be engineer like precise, just suitable to help plan a layout.  trimming, slipping and carving 20 bowls or plates means the grip is in place for a very long session. wads of clay get in the way but the low, wide sliders are just right.

making concentric rings on the top will help, too.  my grip is so helpful all the time but it does have some drawbacks. i cannot use it on the wheel in florida because it is a different brand and i would have to change the settings to make it fit.  too hard to see those tiny little grooves.  wish jim would move that lizard and mail the unloved grip to me.

i guess it is a tool even though i do not think of it that way.  i am talking about the table top surrounding my wheel.  it is just a piece of tileboard about 4x4 feet mounted just above the level of the wheel's table.  it is amazing what can be held within arm's reach. 

Archived