Experiment With Local Blue Clay And Ash Glaze

I dug up some soft blue clay (turns red, when fired). I found this clay from the local beach, in shallow water.

It's soft and clean blue color but needs to be cleaned form small rocks. I took few kilos of this stuff with me and some ash form a local fireplace where w had a fire.

This is definitely a low fire clay but I have never fired it.

So, my plan was to mix it up with ash (unwashed) and test it out. We fire our stuff between 1257-1280 (cone 7-9) in electric kiln.

Is this total waste of time?

We are also going to fire our ceramic fiber gas kiln soon, maybe I can get better results form reduction?

Mart- where are you from? I've seen a ton of this blue clay on the beaches in the Pacific Northwest (Olympic Peninsula). I've been considering a similar experiment... and will be really intrigued to find out what happens with your trials...

Mart- where are you from? I've seen a ton of this blue clay on the beaches in the Pacific Northwest (Olympic Peninsula). I've been considering a similar experiment... and will be really intrigued to find out what happens with your trials...

Different continent, time zone etc. :)

I'll let you guys know, how it works out and I'll try to find out more about the clay too.

Update

This blue clay is really old and belongs to geological period called Cambrian, which lasted from 541.0 to 485.4 million years ago. Kohaku, it is possible, that Olympic Peninsula was stone throw away in those days. :)

This clay is visible only in northern parts of the country around in Estonia.

As I understand, everywhere else it covered with thick layer of rock and is usually not found in its soft form. Some say it's considered as a small geological "miracle" and visiting geologist usually like to see it. (quick translation from wikipedia) :)

I'll fire this half a billion years old stuff up next week and we will see, how it works out.

Here is a picture of this clay: http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilt:Sinisavi_saka.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the test results from our tiny down draft gas kiln, we fired yesterday, to cone 10. reduction.

post-19541-0-08657700-1378474056_thumb.jpg

post-19541-0-19919600-1378474068_thumb.jpg

A - 3 parts of clay and 2 parts of ash

B - 1 part of clay and 1 part of ash

C - 2 parts of clay and 3 parts of ash

D - 2 parts of clay 3 parts of ash and 1 part of porcelain (slip)

I think this stuff needs more time to mature. If I get a chance, I'll use it in local anagama kiln.

Archived