#1 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

Several of you recommended to me the book "Mastering Cone Six Glazes" and I have been looking for a copy of it with no luck since it is out of print. On amazon used copies start around $200! I just found it on iBooks though for only $19.95 so finally have a copy of my very own... Now to get smart enough to read it and understand what it's tell me LOL. I thought it might help some other newbies out there to know that it's available on iBooks as well.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#2 smastca

smastca

Wanna be potter - perpetual student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBrampton, Ontario

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

I've a copy for sale. PM me.

#3 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

My ipad flipped into my water bucket after my I phone dropped into my glaze bucket after my Macbookpro flipped into my slurry bucket.
Now I keep my books in the house.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#4 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

When you look at prices currently for this book ranging from $190 to $5000 on Amazon(Yeah, look it up), I think the ibook makes a lot of sense. I prefer my printed copy purchased when it first came out.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#5 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

That is amazing. I got my first copy wet from rain in my car. Got a second copy and a normal price. I look at some of the prizes on Amazon and have to wonder why?

Marcia

#6 annekat

annekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationOlympia, Washington

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Those prices are crazy. I got one when it first came out, a paperback. Did it come out in hardback or special edition or something? Guess I'll hold onto mine, though selling it might be a little tempting.....
Anne

#7 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

I understand John Britt is finishing up a book on cone 6 glazes. When it is released I am sure it will be a must have.
Brian Reed

Throwing down in Washington State

http://www.reedpottery.com

Northwest Clay Club

#8 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

When you look at prices currently for this book ranging from $190 to $5000 on Amazon(Yeah, look it up), I think the ibook makes a lot of sense. I prefer my printed copy purchased when it first came out.

Holy cow- I think I have two copies...
Not all who wander are lost

#9 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'm happy with the ibookm version and figure when it comes time to use any of the recipes I will just print off that page to go by thereby protecting the iPad from an unwanted dunking. I couldn't even get a copy from the library! After seeing the prices on amazon and a few other sites I figured I was just going to be out of luck then I saw the iBook for a cheaper price. Have just started reading it but think it should be a good one since everyone everywhere says its the go to book for cone 6 glazes.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#10 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

I'm happy with the ibookm version and figure when it comes time to use any of the recipes I will just print off that page to go by thereby protecting the iPad from an unwanted dunking. I couldn't even get a copy from the library! After seeing the prices on amazon and a few other sites I figured I was just going to be out of luck then I saw the iBook for a cheaper price. Have just started reading it but think it should be a good one since everyone everywhere says its the go to book for cone 6 glazes.

Terry

It is a good book because it covers what you need to know about glazes and provides some good basic glazes but don't look there for a survey of all kinds of great glazes, techniques, and inspiration. The "go to" book for cone 6 glazes will be John Britt's cone 6 glaze book when it comes out if it is as good as his cone 10 glaze book (The Complete Guide to High Fire Glazes). I even prefer his cone 10 glaze book for working with cone 6 glazes (with the added challenge of converting them) to the dull and boring Mastering Cone 6 Glazes.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#11 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

It is a good book because it covers what you need to know about glazes and provides some good basic glazes but don't look there for a survey of all kinds of great glazes, techniques, and inspiration. The "go to" book for cone 6 glazes will be John Britt's cone 6 glaze book when it comes out if it is as good as his cone 10 glaze book (The Complete Guide to High Fire Glazes). I even prefer his cone 10 glaze book for working with cone 6 glazes (with the added challenge of converting them) to the dull and boring Mastering Cone 6 Glazes.

Jim

'Mastering' is most useful for its clear, organized exposition of issues related to glaze fit and durability. While I'd read about shivering, leaching, and other issues previously, I don't think they really snapped into place until I read Hesselberth.
Not all who wander are lost

#12 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

I replace my first copy because it got rained on in an open window in my car.
The book itself is really a good basic glaze book for ^6.
But I don't understand some of Amazons pricing.

Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users