Crazy fun tools for in the studio

Crazy? Fun? Tools? ... Hmm... I wear gloves while throwing.

Thin medical gloves. I thought since I can palpate stage I prostate cancer wearing them, why not to try it for throwing the clay.

Can feel all those air bubbles well.

Jim, watch that bear! Do not spill it on your keyboard!

Jim quit holding "bears" while typing a while ago--he and I both just drink beers these days. Ditch the gloves, youll be happier.

Ditto on that, Did you wear gloves when making mudpies as a kid, nothing like getting a little dirty, and no matter how well you can feel with them-much better without them.wacko.gif

Jim quit holding "bears" while typing a while ago--he and I both just drink beers these days.

Darn! Happens to me all the time!

I'm trying to figure out what all you comedians are going on about. Did I type "bear" for "beer" somewhere? Bears scare the crap out of me. I'd never hold one while typing. The only time I ever outran a dog was the time I saw what I still think was a grizzly in the Rockies.

Jim

I picked up one of those aluminum cookie presses at Goodwill, with multiple dies, to see if I could use it for clay. I don't know, make fridge magnets of clay "cookies", or make my own dies for it, or something. I think I gave it a brief shot but don't remember what the problems were, if any... too much clay sticking to it and hard to clean, bad results, or what. But this makes me want to get it out and try it again. Although the icing bags are sounding like maybe more fun.....

I have one of those as well!! I haven't tried it out yet, but have been planning to.... or maybe just use it as a stencil for underglaze decoration. (As for the icing decoration -- if you've ever piped cake decorations, it's amazingly similar. And fun!)

Thanks, Pres, for the cooking spray tip. :) That won't muck up the clay if I reclaim it, will it?

Thin medical gloves. I thought since I can palpate stage I prostate cancer wearing them, why not to try it for throwing the clay.

Jim quit holding "bears" while typing a while ago--he and I both just drink beers these days. Ditch the gloves, youll be happier.

Ditto on that, Did you wear gloves when making mudpies as a kid, nothing like getting a little dirty, and no matter how well you can feel with them-much better without them.wacko.gif

I personally don't throw with gloves on, but I can totally understand why someone would -- especially after I ground off one of my fingernails to the nailbed making plates one day....

I personally don't throw with gloves on, but I can totally understand why someone would -- especially after I ground off one of my fingernails to the nailbed making plates one day....

If your nails are getting ground down, rubber gloves won't make a bit of difference

I picked up one of those aluminum cookie presses at Goodwill, with multiple dies, to see if I could use it for clay. I don't know, make fridge magnets of clay "cookies", or make my own dies for it, or something. I think I gave it a brief shot but don't remember what the problems were, if any... too much clay sticking to it and hard to clean, bad results, or what. But this makes me want to get it out and try it again. Although the icing bags are sounding like maybe more fun.....

I have one of those as well!! I haven't tried it out yet, but have been planning to.... or maybe just use it as a stencil for underglaze decoration. (As for the icing decoration -- if you've ever piped cake decorations, it's amazingly similar. And fun!)

Thanks, Pres, for the cooking spray tip. smile.gif That won't muck up the clay if I reclaim it, will it?

I recycle it all the time, you don't spray that much.

cotton swabs make great polka dots

black ribbed rubber doormat "fabric" sold by the foot at the hardware store can be cut to make leaves with parallel veins. think cherry tree, elm, etc.

melon ball cutters make holes for orchid planters

Speedball pen nibs make great scraffito cutters if you get the right one

gutter guard makes a good texture

painters tape can be cut to make palm trees like the ones in my avatar

it goes on forever........................

If your nails are getting ground down, rubber gloves won't make a bit of difference

Oh, I meant after I ground down my nail, I couldn't throw because it was sore. A glove would offer more protection to the injured finger. ;)

Did you wear gloves when making mudpies as a kid, nothing like getting a little dirty, and no matter how well you can feel with them-much better without them.

I sculpture with the naked fingers, but I through with the gloves on. Especially since I use very little water when I through.

You loose a lot of sensation when your finger tips get abused by the abrasions. For many people it is OK, for some is not.

I often have coffee in AM with a plastic surgeon whose fingernails are longer than mine and who has calluses on his index fingers. We are all different.

Did you wear gloves when making mudpies as a kid, nothing like getting a little dirty, and no matter how well you can feel with them-much better without them.

I sculpture with the naked fingers, but I through with the gloves on. Especially since I use very little water when I through.

You loose a lot of sensation when your finger tips get abused by the abrasions. For many people it is OK, for some is not.

I often have coffee in AM with a plastic surgeon whose fingernails are longer than mine and who has calluses on his index fingers. We are all different.

Do you teach classes on throughing? I'd love to learn how to through.

Jim

Claypole;

Hit the edit button before you send your post out or you will have witty guys like Jim mocking you. It's lose instead of loose, and throw instead of through.

Just saying.

TJR.

Just saying.

Funny how that expression is becoming as overused as LOL. Interesting to think about how it is really used and what it means.

Claypple, I think I remember you saying English is a second language. You probably speak it a lot better than I do. But it was good to kid you about the above after the ragging you gave me over bear/beer.

Jim

Claypple, I think I remember you saying English is a second language. You probably speak it a lot better than I do. But it was good to kid you about the above after the ragging you gave me over bear/beer.

Jim

Yep, the second. I would n't mind improving my grammar all the time, but ... it is a supply and demand issue:

I think in English, and no grammar required for that.

Texting on cell-phones is ... just completely different language, as you all know.

When I need to create a grammatically correct document at work, I either use "Dragon" software or dictate to a transcriptionist (with an accent!!!! unsure.gif).

Theoretically, you can go pretty far without even knowing an alphabet.

Just saying.

Funny how that expression is becoming as overused as LOL. Interesting to think about how it is really used and what it means.

Jim

Its kinda like the weird smiley things, when was the last time you repeatedly winked at someone. creepy....T

Archived