Photo

Steven Hill's Firing Schedule For Bisque?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Jim,
Thank you for the comments on the photography. I've been at it for a very long time.
Yes, it seems we are dealing with a subject that has been very easy to overlook; the purity of RiO.
I have you and Min to thank for this revelation.
I had a similar experience with RiO going birds-egg speckled. See attached
Interesting to note that the normally white tin was colored dark ivory overall in addition to the dark crystal clusters.
The iron and tin were used in a high-calcium mat formula.
I'm not sure if the result is from the quality of iron or the combination of iron and calcium.
John255

Ball milling will take care of the speckles. Min

#82 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the dipping suggestions, OC. I will get into trying these glazes again this summer. I mixed several of them after taking a workshop with SH about a year ago. I will make beefier test tiles and have another go. SH says SCM should be 60% of the total glaze thickness, so I was operating off that. My spraying tests worked well, just would like a more efficient way to try lots of combos.

It's good to know others that are working with these glazes, hope we can continue to support each other's efforts. There is a web group about this, but it seems dead and is very difficult to navigate.

John, thanks for the pictures, nice results.

#83 John255

John255

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationFlorida USA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

[/quote]

Ball milling will take care of the speckles. Min
[/quote]

Min,
That would possibly be an excellent fix if you had a huge batch of RiO that need to be used up.
However I think I'd be looking for another source of Rio with better quality control.
The orifice on my touch-up gun is .6mm so I have to sieve all of my glazes through 100 mesh screen.
The only thing I pick up and have to compensate for is lithium, even the "fine" variety.
Another aspect is I only get the speckling from one bag of RiO with one glaze formula.
If you believe in kiln gods that speckling my be perfect for something, and when its used up, its gone forever.
Regards,
John255

John255

#84 John255

John255

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationFlorida USA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the dipping suggestions, OC. I will get into trying these glazes again this summer. I mixed several of them after taking a workshop with SH about a year ago. I will make beefier test tiles and have another go. SH says SCM should be 60% of the total glaze thickness, so I was operating off that. My spraying tests worked well, just would like a more efficient way to try lots of combos.

It's good to know others that are working with these glazes, hope we can continue to support each other's efforts. There is a web group about this, but it seems dead and is very difficult to navigate.

Clay Lover,
OK, I know the forum you are speaking of and I agree it is dead.
SH makes that statement on the DVD about 60% SCM underglaze.
When I do that it slides off the pot with a very dry surface. I'll be firing another approach this week.
Yes, it is great to have this discussion. I wish now I had chosen another name for this thread.
There are so many variables in the work we do it is amazing we can share meaningful detail at all.
Regards,
John255

John255

#85 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Obviously, Steven Hill knows more about his glazes and techniques than I do, but when SCM is thicker than the glaze over it (in my case often Juicy Fruit) I tend to get a muddy yellowish color. When I reverse it and the SCM is thinner than the glaze or glazes over it, I get better reds and golds. I guess it depends on the glazes, and only tests will determine what works.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users