Wanted to share this tile technique...

I found a broken light diffuser (grid) at our recycling center and tried a project I had read about before. I couldn't find the article, so I winged it and it worked out! I rolled a slab of clay out, pressed the grid into the clay all the way down and let it dry that way. The next day, tiny tiles fell right out of the grid!! It was like magic! No cutting, no marring, no sanding! They were all perfectly cut to the same size. I glazed them and can now make a great mosaic trivet or, if I make more, something bigger! There are other sizes of light diffusers, I just haven't found one yet!

post-6417-136337151109_thumb.jpg

post-6417-136337151109_thumb.jpg

I found a broken light diffuser (grid) at our recycling center and tried a project I had read about before. I couldn't find the article, so I winged it and it worked out! I rolled a slab of clay out, pressed the grid into the clay all the way down and let it dry that way. The next day, tiny tiles fell right out of the grid!! It was like magic! No cutting, no marring, no sanding! They were all perfectly cut to the same size. I glazed them and can now make a great mosaic trivet or, if I make more, something bigger! There are other sizes of light diffusers, I just haven't found one yet!

OMG what a great tip!! They are so cute, I can see putting them between bigger tiles, framing, color bands, all sorts of stuff.

Thank you! This is exciting...

Beth

I read a tip somewhere that you can use the same diffuser to mass produce bits of wadding from your favorite wadding formula, just roll it into the diffuser, let it dry a bit and invert. Presto! Never occured to me to make little itty bitty tiles. Could make a very cool mosaic with these!

Richard

What a fantastic tip!

I LOVE that idea! I am on the hunt for the light grid!!!! Thanks! I can see many projects ahead with that!

Roberta

• 2 months later...

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for - thank you! I'm a hobbyist enthusiast and I have talked myself into making my own mosaic field tiles to use as liners on my backsplash between my 6x6 tiles because I can't find what I want prefab. 1" tiles are too big and bulky looking as a liner. I've been searching for solution for days. These look perfect size!!

Any way to tell us what clay and glaze you used? The "pillow" effect from pressing the mesh mold down over the clay is also exactly what I want as well!!!! I wanted something with some texture to rise above my flat field tile. THANKS!

In response to LauraAnna, I'm glad this clicked with you for your backsplash idea! The light diffuser I found made my tiles come out to exactly 1/2". I have seen other diffusers that I would like to have, but can't seem to find them for sale. :-) I love the pillow effect each tile has, that would be hard to do if you were making individual tiles. I have not experimented using texture, only because I was thinking of how much dirt can catch on walls and floors and thought I'd better stick with smooth! As for the clay and glaze, this is a LARGE area of discussion. I used Highwater's Brownstone clay and I fire to cone 6. I use many glazes from Kentucky Mudworks and Amaco. You would need to find a clay body you like to work with, or if you are firing at a community studio, you'll have to use what they use. Low fire glazes are much prettier, but I don't know how well they would hold up in tile work, especially if it was around water. You may find other discussions on here about tiles and clay bodies. If you accomplish anything, please post something here for us to see! Good Luck!

I only saw this post today and, boy, what a super idea! Thank you for sharing. I have an iron door scraper in front of my basement door and never thought of using it in that way. Will try the technique subito....

Evelyne

Evelyne, I would love to know if your iron piece works for tiles! Everything I look at now, I think - can it make tiles??? Please post if you try it!

Tile versions of classic video game creatures have been done for a long time, but with homemade tile it makes it even better.

Futurebird, I am not familiar with this, but I would LOVE to see a link or photos of these creatures!!! Others on here might enjoy it too!

In response to LauraAnna, I'm glad this clicked with you for your backsplash idea! The light diffuser I found made my tiles come out to exactly 1/2". I have seen other diffusers that I would like to have, but can't seem to find them for sale. :-) I love the pillow effect each tile has, that would be hard to do if you were making individual tiles. I have not experimented using texture, only because I was thinking of how much dirt can catch on walls and floors and thought I'd better stick with smooth! As for the clay and glaze, this is a LARGE area of discussion. I used Highwater's Brownstone clay and I fire to cone 6. I use many glazes from Kentucky Mudworks and Amaco. You would need to find a clay body you like to work with, or if you are firing at a community studio, you'll have to use what they use. Low fire glazes are much prettier, but I don't know how well they would hold up in tile work, especially if it was around water. You may find other discussions on here about tiles and clay bodies. If you accomplish anything, please post something here for us to see! Good Luck!

Thank you Paula! This just keeps getting better! 1/2" was exactly what I was hoping for (although 3/8 or 5/8 would work nicely too) - and glazes from my own back yard! (I'm in KY). Here is a micro mosaic (5/8") with texture stamps. As you can see, the simpler the texture, the more light it reflects. Comes down to preference I guess.

I have more homework to do, but the clay suggestion is a great start - thanks!

post-43175-137002803091_thumb.jpg

post-43175-137002803091_thumb.jpg

I only saw this post today and, boy, what a super idea! Thank you for sharing. I have an iron door scraper in front of my basement door and never thought of using it in that way. Will try the technique subito....

Evelyne

Evelyne, I would love to know if your iron piece works for tiles! Everything I look at now, I think - can it make tiles??? Please post if you try it!

Exactly!! I'm now looking at my tiny decorative candy mold trays and going hmmmm..... can you imagine how cool these would be as little mosaic tiles? Or tile overlays!

post-43175-137002857063_thumb.jpg

post-43175-137002857063_thumb.jpg

Thank you Paula! This just keeps getting better! 1/2" was exactly what I was hoping for (although 3/8 or 5/8 would work nicely too) - and glazes from my own back yard! (I'm in KY). Here is a micro mosaic (5/8") with texture stamps. As you can see, the simpler the texture, the more light it reflects. Comes down to preference I guess.

I have more homework to do, but the clay suggestion is a great start - thanks!

Awesome, it will be great!!! good luck!!!

Evelyne

Exactly!! I'm now looking at my tiny decorative candy mold trays and going hmmmm..... can you imagine how cool these would be as little mosaic tiles? Or tile overlays!

Yesss! I haven't seen any designer ice cube trays like you have, but I think I have a half circle one!! I'll be looking for that now!

Evelyne

Paula, of course I will post the result here. It may take a few moments though because the iron door scraper is in my Italian house and I will be there only at the end of this month.

Evelyne

• 1 month later...

Hi Paula and all

I promised to try the iron door scraper to produce mini tiles when I'am in my Italian studio. Yesterday I finaly had time to try it and her's the result:

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Gimli_bucket/library/Mini%20tiles%20by%20door%20scraper

I hope the link is working.

Greetings from hot Italy

Evelyne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived