#1 Natania

Natania

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

I recently got a used electric kiln which I've been glaze firing to cone 5/6. The person who had it previously only fired low fire. I am noticing that the shelves are warping and i plan to wash the other sides and turn them over each time I fire from now on. My question is: are the shelves perhaps not rated to go to mid range? Should I eventually get new shelves? The kiln I fire where I teach has very old shelves that aren't warped at all...are they made for higher temps.?
Thanks!

#2 clayshapes

clayshapes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

I can't help with the warping question, but do know that you shouldn't use a kiln washed shelf upside down -- kiln wash could flake off and fall onto your glazed work and ruin it!

#3 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

I can't help with the warping question, but do know that you shouldn't use a kiln washed shelf upside down -- kiln wash could flake off and fall onto your glazed work and ruin it!

just grind off ALL the kiln wash before turning it over. It shouldn't be all that hard to do.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#4 justanassembler

justanassembler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

I recently got a used electric kiln which I've been glaze firing to cone 5/6. The person who had it previously only fired low fire. I am noticing that the shelves are warping and i plan to wash the other sides and turn them over each time I fire from now on. My question is: are the shelves perhaps not rated to go to mid range? Should I eventually get new shelves? The kiln I fire where I teach has very old shelves that aren't warped at all...are they made for higher temps.?
Thanks!

If they are half inch "clay" (corderite/alumina/some variation thereof) they really dont last at cone 6. You have to use a thicker shelf or a thin SiC shelf, if you can justify the cost.

#5 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about hollow core shelves- CoreLite. Light and strong, and no more expensive than standard cordierite shelves. I got a few 14x28 recently, and they've held up well so far.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#6 justanassembler

justanassembler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about hollow core shelves- CoreLite. Light and strong, and no more expensive than standard cordierite shelves. I got a few 14x28 recently, and they've held up well so far.

I knew someone recently who got a bad batch of those Corelite shelves, they were the largest they make for a round top-loader. Every single one cracked nicely down the middle--I saw her stack and posting--so did Resco the mfr). Resco insisted that it wasn't a manufacturing issue, but they were also completely happy to refund her $$$. I have encountered other folks with similar issues (but only with the very largest of shelves) and a tech @ Resco spoke to acknowledged that at one point they had issues with the extrusions being prone to cracking due to a an issue with either the die or the method by which they were cutting them, I forget. Either way he said it was resolved, but I sort of wonder.

#7 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

I knew someone recently who got a bad batch of those Corelite shelves, they were the largest they make for a round top-loader. Every single one cracked nicely down the middle--I saw her stack and posting--so did Resco the mfr). Resco insisted that it wasn't a manufacturing issue, but they were also completely happy to refund her $$. I have encountered other folks with similar issues (but only with the very largest of shelves) and a tech @ Resco spoke to acknowledged that at one point they had issues with the extrusions being prone to cracking due to a an issue with either the die or the method by which they were cutting them, I forget. Either way he said it was resolved, but I sort of wonder.

Interesting. Hopefully it truly is worked out. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, because if they didn't fix it word would get out quickly if the problem persisted. They HAVE to fix it to stay in business. The folks at Lill Street have been using them in their gas kilns for the last few years and they still haven't warped. Seems like every brand goes through some issues at some point. Thorley's went bad when Laguna first bought them out, but they got it figured out.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#8 potterbeth

potterbeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Highwater Clay, in North Carolina, sells 3/4" High Alumina shelves...they're the best I've found for cone 5-6 electric firing.

#9 bonsaiguy

bonsaiguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

I had one 21" crack clear across the middle first cone 6 firing, Standard Ceramic replaced it. After about a year, many 06 and just a few 6 firings two more just cracked clear across the middle on a 6 firing. They're light for a deep top loader, but I'm sure reluctant to try them again.

#10 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

I have some corelite 13x26 I use in reduction at cone 9-10 with no problem. I do flip them about every other firing.
Wyndham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users