How do you convert US glaze recipes to something usable in EU?

Mart

How do you convert US glaze recipes to something usable in EU?

I have few really nice high fire glaze recipes, I like to try out, but they are mostly made of US materials so almost useless in EU.

I also bought a wonderful book called "The Complete Guide to High-Fire Glazes, Glazing & Firing at Cone 10" but this is also US specific (btw, thank you for the Kg, g and °C smile.gif

Has anyone made a conversion table for converting those materials to stuff available in EU?

Or even better, can you point me to a active English (non US!) ceramics forum? I am usually OK finding stuff with google but in those 2 tasks I have failed smile.gif

Cheers!

Or even better, can you point me to a active English (non US!) ceramics forum?

I've looked too; and whilst I've found a couple of UK based pottery forums they are not very active.

Emmanuel Cooper lists a few UK/US alternatives in the back of his book (The Potters book of Glaze Recipes), I'm sure others do too, if you put a list of ingredients on here I'm sure someone could help translate/convert at least some of them.

I did not even think about the lack of the same materials in the EU because many of the published glaze recipes are made in the US. However I think the best source would be a program like Digital Fires Insight where you can look at the material list and see the mineral breakdown of each material and then can make a substitution for something local. This should allow you to make a very close glaze and not add or delete vital minerals or oxides that are needed.

Of course you could do this all manually by going to each manufacturer and getting the atomic weight of each element and then find a local supplier that will find a substitute item that closely resembles your item.

However this does not take the place of testing. You must test every material used in glaze as well as the clay body you are using. Test test test.

My 2 cents.

Glaze calculation software will allow you to make a recipe from the Unity Molecular Formula of a glaze, using the materials available to you. I substitute ingredients in recipes all the time this way because I keep a limited supply of glaze materials in my inventory. This is a great way to learn about glaze formulation, and you will be able to create a glaze that is nearly identical to the original. I have used Hyperglaze for many years, but there are other good glaze calc programs out there, too.

Guest JBaymore

The trick for most of this (glaze wet batch rheology aside) is to use FORMULAS not recipes. Formulas can cross raw material sourcing to a large degree.

Molecular glaze calculation is the route to go to understand this. I recommend Digitalfire's "Insight" program. It is what I use in my college ceramic materials courses (and have since it was a DOS version!).

best,

...........john

Archived