Cracking elec kiln cover with wedge - ok or bad?

Chris,

Are you referring to firing with the lid partially open or venting after firing. I usually wedge the lid open on my kiln (electric) after it has finished firing. But I give it a 12 hour cool down before doing that. I have been doing that for the past 20 years and haven't lost a load or partial load yet. I have two Duncan kilns and will even go so far as to open the bottom peep hole in addition to wedging the lid open. I am firing to a cone 6 and dont glaze. Dont think I would trust this process if I was glazing. To fast a cool down could ruin the load.

RJ

I, too , use a soft brick wedge , ....the one that came with the kiln. I had one electric kiln that had a teal piece that would hold up the lid at different intervals like 1" or 2" instead of using a brick. That one was about 20 or more years ago. One my big oval kiln I sometimes use two posts to prop the lid. the Lid is over 42" wide.

Marcia

If the kiln has a vent, no need to crack the lid. The purpose is to "get rid of" the moisture in the clay that is gone once 212 degrees is reached. (chemical water is a whole different animal)

You can prop the lid. I use a 1"square post, (-10" long, to distribute the stress.) You can also leave the peep holes open. TIP: hold a mirror above the peep hole- if it fogs, then there is still moisture in the ware.

Archived