• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 medoll

medoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

Beginning this fall - I will be teaching 5 high school ceramic 1 classes to about 35 students per class. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to organize my classes?
Would it be better to give a list of projects to students and have them work on their own? Or should we all do the same projects together?
Any lesson plan ideas??? The classes will run for 18 weeks then the classes will change to ceramics 2.

#2 Jessica Knapp

Jessica Knapp

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 31 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

If you're looking for lesson plan ideas, check out the Education section of Ceramic Arts Daily: http://ceramicartsda...org/education/ There are high school lessons posted there, and more will be posted by next Monday. As to your question on how to organize the classes, you could decide to either all work on one concept based project, with specific technique parameters, like limiting the students to using handbuilding techniques, or requiring that they try three different surface decoration techniques, or require that they all use the same technique (East Asian coil building for example--see the clip from the Joyce Michaud video on CAD:
http://ceramicartsda...coil-technique/ ) and design different pieces that would make sense to build/decorate using that technique.
As your time in the classroom is limited, I would probably limit the students to either the same projects, or to no more than three or four that are closely related, at least in the technique that the project addresses or covers, that way you can help all of the students by showing demos to the group that would benefit all of them. It would be hard to fit demos in for 35 students in one or two class sessions. Hope this information is helpful.
Jessica

Beginning this fall - I will be teaching 5 high school ceramic 1 classes to about 35 students per class. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to organize my classes?
Would it be better to give a list of projects to students and have them work on their own? Or should we all do the same projects together?
Any lesson plan ideas??? The classes will run for 18 weeks then the classes will change to ceramics 2.

#3 medoll

medoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

If you're looking for lesson plan ideas, check out the Education section of Ceramic Arts Daily: http://ceramicartsda...org/education/ There are high school lessons posted there, and more will be posted by next Monday. As to your question on how to organize the classes, you could decide to either all work on one concept based project, with specific technique parameters, like limiting the students to using handbuilding techniques, or requiring that they try three different surface decoration techniques, or require that they all use the same technique (East Asian coil building for example--see the clip from the Joyce Michaud video on CAD:
http://ceramicartsda...coil-technique/ ) and design different pieces that would make sense to build/decorate using that technique.
As your time in the classroom is limited, I would probably limit the students to either the same projects, or to no more than three or four that are closely related, at least in the technique that the project addresses or covers, that way you can help all of the students by showing demos to the group that would benefit all of them. It would be hard to fit demos in for 35 students in one or two class sessions. Hope this information is helpful.
Jessica

#4 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:37 PM

Is there a written curriculum for the Ceramics 1? I would think that would be the place to start. What are the tools the kids should have when they leave you as defined by the curriculum? Next what is your period time frame. My classes were 50 min. 5 days a week for 18 weeks.

I based the curriculum on techniques. Slab, coil, extrusion, pinch pot, combinations etc. Themes would change over the years. Some years I might beach something like house construction using slabs, of classical coil with templates and scraping. With extrusion I would often present 3-4 themes and let them choose the direction-crooked house, hard geometry, crazy plumbing. I think you get the point. All of the lessons were designed with the basics for the technique included: forming, joining, safety with tools, finishing, aesthetics of design and craftsmanship.

Now retired, the new teacher stays in touch, and still values my opinion.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#5 Pat Franz35

Pat Franz35

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:13 AM

We love our High School 3D Pottery Teachers.
I would suggest you get yourself a Boy Scout Pottery Book
...Pottery BSA Supply No. 35934 ....
This little book costs less than $10.00 and has a wonderful way of putting a teaching aspect on pottery.
You will enjoy this as a teaching tool for terms and talents.

Also, be sure to align yourself with a Duncan Distributor. www.DuncanCeramics.com
They will have your clay, glaze, brushes etc.. and are a nice bunch of folks who have your interest at heart.
If you don't have a Duncan Distributor in your town feel free to call me. I help many teacher from across the country.
Your job is special. Later in life, all students remember their art teachers.

Pat Franz
405-634-6922
www.BercherCeramicSupply.com
Oklahoma City
Enjoy your Pottery
www.BercherCeramicSupply.com
405-634-6922

My volunteer mission
www.CampSubiaco.org

#6 Stephen Robison

Stephen Robison

• Moderators
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

Make sure when you are teaching ceramics in HS that you spell it correctly.
STEPHEN ROBISON
Head of Ceramics, Central Washington University
Ellensburg WA

http://stiffyguss.blogspot.com/
http://liquidceramics.blogspot.com/
http://teapotspitchers.blogspot.com/
http://woodkilns.blogspot.com/
http://jomonhaniwa.blogspot.com/
http://stephensrobison.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.co...ffpottery/sets/

CWU offers; BA, BFA, and MFA Degrees, (Post Baccalaureate also available). Images of CWU Ceramics studio can be seen at

http://www.flickr.co...57623735313670/

#7 artmom111

artmom111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

I am absolutely jealous! I am a HS art teacher and can't even seem to get a kiln. Where are you teaching - town/state? Just curious. I'm in a Title I school in Dallas.

#8 Seasoned Warrior

Seasoned Warrior

Businessman - Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

I'm sorry but don't intitutions of higher learning teach pedagogy anymore???? I am trying to get my jaw up off the floor. Some of these questions in this thread and another are nothing short of amazing/amusing.

Regards,
Charles

#9 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

I'm sorry but don't intitutions of higher learning teach pedagogy anymore???? I am trying to get my jaw up off the floor. Some of these questions in this thread and another are nothing short of amazing/amusing.

Regards,
Charles

they are also scary!
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#10 OOF!

OOF!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Bye!
"Bye!"
-OOF!

#11 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

Regards,
Charles

Sorry, but it is spelled institutions. Yes, they teach pedagogy, but because the number of pedagogy credits required, and the number of studio areas out there, often a student has never had a Ceramics class, or maybe not a Jewelry class. I some cases I have seen Art teachers graduate from reputable universities that have piles of "pedagogy" but not a single 3D experience. It all depends on the structure of the universities curriculum. In the end, with little studio experience in certain areas, the future of Art in the schools may be limited more and more to 2D. Factor in budget constraints this day and age, and we have a growing problem. Just a side from an Old Educator.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#12 ceramicgirl

ceramicgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

I know this was posted last year but was wondering how you were getting along in your new Ceramic Classroom? I have been working with Ceramic Art educators for a few years now and have some really great projects if your interested. All of these projects are geared for the budget conscience teacher. You can also look up projects on the Mayco Website at www.maycocolors.com you can contact me at pwyndham@maycocolors.com

#13 kilndoc

kilndoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

Almost all of the major glaze manufacturers have classroom projects and lesson plans for free download on their websites. Amaco, Duncan, Spectrum, and Laguna also all had teacher sections the last time I looked. What tends to be missing, however, from the 'project-based' approach is the unifying theme or philosophy that makes each project work for YOUR program. I'd suggest looking at them all so you can best find those that fit in your program.

Some often overlooked resources: your State's Art Educator website, NCECA, and NAEA. All Three are organizations who are dedicated to art and/or ceramics EDUCATION.

Above all, remember to teach to the STANDARDS. If a project doesn't meet one of your mandated goals, throw it out. Or, better yet, change the project so that it does. And lastly, buy your supplies from your local dealer. After all, THEY will be the one you run to in a pinch, or when you have questions.
"Every Artist was first an amateur"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

#14 Idaho Potter

Idaho Potter

Learning all the time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Several years ago while still living in the mountains and where I had been teaching 5th graders (how to play in the mud) for five years through the auspices of the local arts council, I received a call from the arts council director asking for my help. The high school and middle school both had new teachers that were required to teach ceramics as part of their curriculum, but they had only taken one semester of ceramics working towards their degrees. Seems they didn't know where to even start.

I spent five frantic days taking them through hand-building techniques, and refresher steps on wheel throwing. I was dumbfounded! I had thought a degree in art education was supposed to cover all aspects of art from design to a finished project--regardless of medium. It must have been enough to stay ahead of the students until the teachers could refine their skills, but it bothered me for a long time.

For many years, I had galleries refuse to consider my work because I didn't have a degree, therefore I had a thin resume. After teaching the teachers, my self-image got a big boost, and I decided a degree is like everything else in life--it's only as good as you make it.

I don't know how they work in Texas, but here in Idaho lesson plans must be submitted; be age appropriate; and show how the lessons can be integrated with the academic side of school (arts are electives and--sadly--being cut from every school budget).

#15 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Several years ago while still living in the mountains and where I had been teaching 5th graders (how to play in the mud) for five years through the auspices of the local arts council, I received a call from the arts council director asking for my help. The high school and middle school both had new teachers that were required to teach ceramics as part of their curriculum, but they had only taken one semester of ceramics working towards their degrees. Seems they didn't know where to even start.

I spent five frantic days taking them through hand-building techniques, and refresher steps on wheel throwing. I was dumbfounded! I had thought a degree in art education was supposed to cover all aspects of art from design to a finished project--regardless of medium. It must have been enough to stay ahead of the students until the teachers could refine their skills, but it bothered me for a long time.

For many years, I had galleries refuse to consider my work because I didn't have a degree, therefore I had a thin resume. After teaching the teachers, my self-image got a big boost, and I decided a degree is like everything else in life--it's only as good as you make it.

I don't know how they work in Texas, but here in Idaho lesson plans must be submitted; be age appropriate; and show how the lessons can be integrated with the academic side of school (arts are electives and--sadly--being cut from every school budget).

When I began teaching in schools I had had many years of studio art experience ceramics being my specialty. So having knowledge of different mediums, studio set ups, etc., was not a problem. My problems occurred when I saw the limited supplies and support for the arts in the schools.

Here is an odd situation I ran into- I tried to get support from a school administrator for a small ceramics program just a very simple project of a bowl. It would have required a very small jewelry size kiln. It was to be presented to the students using all of the processes and terminology necessary to understand and complete the project. The room I had could have handled it as it was a huge space. I was also willing to incur all costs. It was rejected.

Well, when grade level testing time came around the first ten questions on the test were pertaining to the making and completion of a ceramic vessel. I wanted to scream.

I had another experience in a school that had as their art supplies large sheets of construction paper in the colors of browned aged edges of manila, orange and black. That was all there was in the supply room. Oh yes and a paper cutter.
They had a kiln but a teacher a few years back had ‘burned it out’, firemen were called, so no one was allowed to even try to fix it or go into the kiln shed again. It was padlocked.

So, having lesson plans + having the standards + no budgets + unknowledgeable teachers=?
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#16 Seasoned Warrior

Seasoned Warrior

Businessman - Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:51 AM

Well Pres I don't presume to be the world's greatest typist but if we are going to get into a discussion of English useage I'd like to see you diagram your sentence which includes the following "... I some cases I have seen Art teachers graduate from reputable..."

Best regards,
Charles

#17 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:25 AM

Well Pres I don't presume to be the world's greatest typist but if we are going to get into a discussion of English useage I'd like to see you diagram your sentence which includes the following "... I some cases I have seen Art teachers graduate from reputable..."

Best regards,
Charles

Whenever I see a mistake in spelling or some such thing it does bother me a little also, but I suppose it is all those stern teachers I had in elementary school that whacked you on the hands if you made a mistake in spelling. I am trying to get over it slowly but surely. I try to ignore the mistakes and keep on reading but because this is a running critique here goes- usage.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#18 Seasoned Warrior

Seasoned Warrior

Businessman - Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

Best regards,
Charles

Whenever I see a mistake in spelling or some such thing it does bother me a little also, but I suppose it is all those stern teachers I had in elementary school that whacked you on the hands if you made a mistake in spelling. I am trying to get over it slowly but surely. I try to ignore the mistakes and keep on reading but because this is a running critique here goes- usage.

Wow!

#19 Seasoned Warrior

Seasoned Warrior

Businessman - Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

Lucille, you posted the following a while back: "Your welcome. The idea of the catalog I got from readings about Thomas Chippendale (1718-1780) the furniture maker and Andrea Palladio (1508-1580),..." while I ascribe my poor spelling to my bad typing there is an obscure saying about people in glass houses and all that....

Not being a native English speaker I have sometimes misspelled items and I probably have other bad habits also but I try to consider the content rather than the trappings, we all make mistakes: some of us even admit them. I am sure that your education included the difference between "your" and "you're" and so I would not diminish the value of your posts because of a minor typographical or grammatical error. Please note that I did not start this spelling bee, I was not the one who commented on the spelling of ceramics in the original poster's comment, I was merely pointing out in the post that yes mistakes in spelling and sometimes grammar are made but they are less important than the information contained in the comment.

I hope you can find in your heart the kindness to forgive a poor speller like myself but I may be mistaken. I promise I will try harder to be a better speller.

Best regards,
Charles

#20 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:14 AM

Lucille, you posted the following a while back: "Your welcome. The idea of the catalog I got from readings about Thomas Chippendale (1718-1780) the furniture maker and Andrea Palladio (1508-1580),..." while I ascribe my poor spelling to my bad typing there is an obscure saying about people in glass houses and all that....

Not being a native English speaker I have sometimes misspelled items and I probably have other bad habits also but I try to consider the content rather than the trappings, we all make mistakes: some of us even admit them. I am sure that your education included the difference between "your" and "you're" and so I would not diminish the value of your posts because of a minor typographical or grammatical error. Please note that I did not start this spelling bee, I was not the one who commented on the spelling of ceramics in the original poster's comment, I was merely pointing out in the post that yes mistakes in spelling and sometimes grammar are made but they are less important than the information contained in the comment.

I hope you can find in your heart the kindness to forgive a poor speller like myself but I may be mistaken. I promise I will try harder to be a better speller.

Best regards,
Charles

Went checking on my posts eh? That proves my point. Seems like a vicious cycle. One corrects another, another corrects another, and on and on we go where it stops no body knows.
We all make mistakes. And sometimes spell check makes errors. You should see what it does with the verb ‘to be’. I didn’t mean to offend and you don’t have to defend. I am aware that we all make typos. Let’s just try to ignore them and move on. There are no teachers who will samck out handes. Oops, smack our hands.
By the way, thanks for the correction. I made the adjustment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users