VC #71, or a nice satin base ?

I am looking for a dependable base glaze, cone 6, that has a satin surface, nice to handle and food safe. I came across Val Cushing 71 in a book, but don't remember where I found it. Do any of you use this and do you have a good satin base that is receptive to oxides, that I might try?

I have looked up and mixed a lot of other glazes, but this is my first time to start with a base and add colorants to get what I want.

Custer spar 40

frit 3124 9

whiting 16

talc 9

epk 10

flint 16

Thanks, all.

JD, pics look good. What does it FEEL like? The little test of VC 71 I've done with no colorants is silky, makes you want to touch it, and a bit translucent, but that might be from the lacl of colorants/ Maybe?

Colorants rarely affect the glaze' texture. If you like your base glaze - just start to perform some tests using different colorants / quantities. Enjoy!

• 2 years later...

I was going to try VC71 and I put it into an Excel worksheet so I could get different batch sizes and noticed that it totals 91 not 100.  Does anyone know if this is correct at written or are there ingredients missing?  If so could you please share? 

Thanks in advance!

I was going to try VC71 and I put it into an Excel worksheet so I could get different batch sizes and noticed that it totals 91 not 100.  Does anyone know if this is correct at written or are there ingredients missing?  If so could you please share? 

Thanks in advance!

You either missed out  Talc: 9.0   or Frit 3124: 9.0 , or your maths needs some work. ;)

Ok. I've already made a amount of this glaze..... As my research on it continues . Others on the net say this glaze is not mature and most likey under fired. Which points in the direction of leaching and unsafe for food use. There are updates/ revisons on this In original form VC 71 is Xavier's jade green with colorants. Revised versions have the formula changed..... I'm told for the safer

try this

Wettlaufer 18  cone 6 oxidation (electric kiln)

C-6 spar  (soda spar)              40

i used Kona

whiting                                     15

Ball clay (C&C for whiteness)  20

silica 325                                  15

dolomite                                   10                                                                                                                                                    total                    100

add 2 % bentonite

this is a great glaze, i have tested colors under it and it does not contain zinc so green stays green.  used on my little loafers white clay it gives a soft, velvety bright white look.  it is described in the book as "waxy" which is something i do not understand.  i have used Stroke N Coat colors on top of this glaze  and the contrast of the velvety white with the shiny colors adds something special.                   

Thanks in advance!

You either missed out  Talc: 9.0   or Frit 3124: 9.0 , or your maths needs some work. ;)

You are 100% correct! I did leave out the Talc. My math skills are poor so I do rely on Excel BUT it looks as if I need to proof my typing as well!

Archived