Horizontal Plaster Lathe

Hi

I came across a very brief discription of a horizontal plaster lathe in Leon Nigrosh book "Claywork". Is anyone familiar with these? I'm looking for plans to build a homemade one-they look fairy simple in the photo. But I can't find anything on them online when I did a google search. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Leigh

Hi

I came across a very brief discription of a horizontal plaster lathe in Leon Nigrosh book "Claywork". Is anyone familiar with these? I'm looking for plans to build a homemade one-they look fairy simple in the photo. But I can't find anything on them online when I did a google search. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Leigh

Try a search for "plaster turning" I think that is what you are refering to.

I have also cast blocks and then turned them on my wood lathe.

hi there Leigh

I use an ordinary pottery wheel to 'turn' my masters on. I made a huge plaster slab that fits around the throwing wheel, and use that surface to cut my molds. If you have a wheel, why not try this? If you want, contact me, and I will send you images of what I have, and give any advice you might need to use it.

I am very satisfied with woodturning lathe (horizontal of course). It is great! I bought it from a guy who made it himself so it is not an industry woodturning lathe.

Another neighbour made me a nozzle that is attached to it and I pour a plaster cylinder on it.

The biggest diameter that I turned is about 10 inch but that depends on the strenght and diameter of the circular thing (that I don`t know the word of) see pic.

I can also turn plastic cast basic shape if I want really great positive that will not be destroyed in the process of mold making.

post-12392-133508215017_thumb.jpg

post-12392-133508215017_thumb.jpg

I'm totally curious what they are used for.

I don't have enough info to find out by Googling either it seems

They are used for making "positive" model from plaster (or plastic material or even wood...) for making a negative = mold. Model from other materials (non clay) have many advantages over clay.

Youtube:

- vertical turning

- horizontal turning

• 1 year later...

I'm totally curious what they are used for.

I don't have enough info to find out by Googling either it seems

They are used for making "positive" model from plaster (or plastic material or even wood...) for making a negative = mold. Model from other materials (non clay) have many advantages over clay.

Youtube:

- vertical turning

- horizontal turning

thank you so much for posting this. i'm building a workbench this weekend for my garage. been having a horrible time trying to cast some things, and i am very interested in turning my own forms. 

To state the obvious, a lathe will throw swarfe. Make sure that it cannot contaminate anything you will fire.

You may find the following book of interest (do a new search with your own country and currency)

http://tinyurl.com/qbqtyxf

http://tinyurl.com/p76jh8q

... it has an interesting way of setting up for the first cast, which minimises clay build-up at the expense of another plaster pouring.

Regards, Peter

Archived