Pacifica GT400

Anyone have a hot tip for replacing the belt drive on this wheel?  Rather than one belt, it has 4 what looks like giant O rings.  The drive gear has a channel to hold each O ring separately and on the wheel head side, they just run in one common groove.  This thing looks to me like a potential upgrade if I could source the belt and drive pulleys.    Otherwise, it's wait for someone to get an order in to Laguna for stock replacements.  Once it goes down to 2 O rings, it slips like crazy.

If it works as it should with the 4 small belts, I would just stay with that system. Just keep your belts in good working order and you won't have any problems. When you say 'wait for someone to get an order in to Laguna', what do you mean? You can call them directly to order, or you can get them through a number of other clay suppliers like Sheffield, Clay Planet, etc.

I was told Laguna didn't sell direct, only through distributors.  Maybe I'll give them a call. 

As for staying with that system,  I'm what you would call a tweaker (old meaning).  If something breaks, I don't want to replace it, I want to upgrade it.  Actually, I just like modifying for fun.  The drive system design on the Pacifica wheel is definitely cheap end of the pool.  I think this is the 3rd time I've replaced the belts.  Good enough, I suppose.  Could be better.  It's just not an industrial quality design.  I had hoped someone had already tried this.

2 hours ago, CactusPots said:

I was told Laguna didn't sell direct, only through distributors.  Maybe I'll give them a call. 

As for staying with that system,  I'm what you would call a tweaker (old meaning).  If something breaks, I don't want to replace it, I want to upgrade it.  Actually, I just like modifying for fun.  The drive system design on the Pacifica wheel is definitely cheap end of the pool.  I think this is the 3rd time I've replaced the belts.  Good enough, I suppose.  Could be better.  It's just not an industrial quality design.  I had hoped someone had already tried this.

Change it out to a decent belt drive with a tension pulley. Last forever and adjustable too.

Bill,  

There ya go, that's what I'm thinking.  Only thing is, to get the torque out of the beer can motor, the drive gear is only .85"  The driven side is 12"  I'm looking at Grainger to see if they have a belt that will take that small of a pulley.  So far nothing.  It's probably out there, but now I'm starting to see why the built it the way they did.  
The 4 5mm belts are used so they can make that tight corner around the small pulley.  Get some low end from the little motor.  Reminds me of my old dirt bike days.

I got the belts, but they wouldn't run correctly at all.  I'm checking out a video on Youtube, and the driven wheel he's showing is completely different from mine.  Mine has a 4 grooved drive pulley, but the driven pulley looks like a V belt pulley.  The 4 drive belts never sit correctly on the V pulley.  I call Laguna to ask  What's Up?  Dude says Laguna shipped a bunch like that in the 90s.  He knows all about it.  In fact, in the last month, some school or something must have just sold off used equipment, because he's had like 10 calls for the grooved driven pulley.  I thought my wheel was under powered and was making plans to replace it.  I could never get more than 3 belts to work at all.  $70, in case you're wondering.  Maybe I will still get another wheel, but it's slipped down the priority list for now.

Got the new 4 belt driven pulley today.   Looks sweet.  If anyone has a Pacifica wheel, I'd suggest turning it over and looking at the pulleys.  I ran this thing for 20 years, not knowing it was configured incorrectly.  Can't wait to throw some pots tomorrow.

'

• 3 weeks later...

One little update in case anyone else runs into this problem.  By just installing the new grooved driven pulley, the belts were not lined up.  After looking at raising the driven pulley, lowering the motor, etc, the final solution (I hope) was to reverse the drive pulley so the collar (spacer)  is at the top.  This seems to line up the belts.

• 1 month later...

In reading these posts, I confused.  The reason for my confusion is, I'm new.

I have a Pacifica GT 400 and my belts broke.  My local supply outlet said that the large belts, really 'o' rings, are no longet made.  So whom do I go to for these "bands, belts, or O rings"? Please help, I need my wheel.

I have a Pacifica 400 and when my belts broke, I tried ordering some, but that fell thru...so I tried fixing them and that didn't work...so I went to the local auto parts store and bought a 520k4 serpentine belt ... The ridges from the pulleys fit inside the grooves of the belt...not perfectly, but good enough!  :)  about  $13.00

Archived