QotW: What is a realistic amount of time to spend before being able to produce quality thrown forms on the wheel.Meaning ones that others will want (not family members)

Over the years, I have found that I often have to have a "Gestation state", a period of time where I don't do something, but think about it. Then when I return to the activity or problem, I have solved it without even really knowing it. This has happened to me often when dealing with throwing over the years. . . throwing off the hump and having "S" cracks, throwing large and not getting enough out of the base, Wonky rims, that were weak and poorly finished, trimming through too many large plates, cracks in large plates, cracks in large bowls, and the list could last for much longer. Point is, problems do not just disappear when you push more time into it, often you have to figure out why. Research helps, thinking about what you research helps, also thinking about what you know about clay and how it is structurally made up and how to use that instead of fight it. All in a lifetime of working with any material, especially one so simply complex.

best,

Pres 

23 hours ago, Pres said:

Over the years, I have found that I often have to have a "Gestation state", a period of time where I don't do something, but think about it. Then when I return to the activity or problem, I have solved it without even really knowing it. This has happened to me often when dealing with throwing over the years. . . throwing off the hump and having "S" cracks, throwing large and not getting enough out of the base, Wonky rims, that were weak and poorly finished, trimming through too many large plates, cracks in large plates, cracks in large bowls, and the list could last for much longer. Point is, problems do not just disappear when you push more time into it, often you have to figure out why. Research helps, thinking about what you research helps, also thinking about what you know about clay and how it is structurally made up and how to use that instead of fight it. All in a lifetime of working with any material, especially one so simply complex.

best,

Pres 

Dang Educators, always bringing "Thinking" into things!

"Don't get me started on the disrespect of educators."

to or from?   :|

jk!   ,)

...add coaches, custodians (aka cleaners, sweepers, janitors), an' …"old" people.

Back to leavin't'alone for a while (gestation), that so true! Is it the subconscious mind? ...I think so; for bigger problems, a night's sleep can really help as well. Makes sense to me, as my conscious mind ain' much.

The ten or fifteen minutes of hot tub after a hard swim has been a magical time for me (goin' back many years) for visualization of solutions, also a sit down before turning for home when out onna bike. Looks like dry roads today, whee!

• Pres unpinned this topic