Electric quote seem fair?

liambesaw

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neutrals are required now here whether you use or need them at the box. As Neil said most kilns do not use them. Many wielders and other stuff does require them..Like he said some stuff needs the 110 part. Many electrical codes require a neutral at all locations now.

I always run them  to subpanels as I never know what I may hook up later to that box.Short round to  kiln  outlets do not matter.

Your crawling story remindes me of rewiring my Wife entire house from new service entrance to all the outlets . I left much of the overhead lights alone unless it was easy. The crawling was brutal but I was in my 50s when I tackled that job -more lean and mean then. New windows all around (I did that aas well)and new floors and doors-Insulated the whole structure as well-farmed some of that out. New  forced air heater, swapped out electic water heater for gas. Sold that house  fall  2017to friends and we are carring the note for awhile to ease the tax hit. It feels good to out of the rental business.

liam, congrats on getting it done but i have a question.  i live in a mobile home here.  it is aluminum sided where the electrical panel is on the inside.  recently had an electrician run a wire for an electric dryer 4 feet.  (i replaced my old propane dryer because it never seemed to turn off.)

he said the wire cost $60, (i think) and i wondered why so much for so short a run.   he bought the cable with the wire already inside it from HD and they only sell 25 foot rolls.  he said they do not sell romex and wire separately anymore.   the hardest part for him was fitting the hole for the wire inside the wall.  it had to go immediately next to the panel and run out to the porch where the washer and dryer are.   he rearranged a couple of circuits  in the box to get the new breaker in.  was here about an hour.   i think i paid him $120.  and maybe for the parts.  

my question for all you electric guys is  if the wire is sold in 25 foot boxes at the big stores, do the real electrical supply houses sell it by the foot?   seems like that would be a little less for a short run like mine was.   

can you tell i have plans for the studio?

Liam’s project was significantly more difficult than your dryer and his parts alone cost more than your entire bill. Of course he did do the job for about 300 dollars but spent a day running pipe under his house in the crawl space. If your guy spent a day putting your dryer outlet in I think he would have charged for that time spent

i am sorry that i was misunderstood.  i did not intend to criticize anyone or anything.   it simply sounded like liam used empty romex into which he put a wire.   that is apparently not available here anymore.  i probably misunderstood the electrician who i did hire by the hour.  

i am glad to know it is sold by the foot.

in any case, enjoy your new kiln, liam.

Archived