TC Offset and new elements?

shawnhar

I have my TC offset to compensate quite a bit, even though it is a new thermocouple (less than 10 glaze firings) and I am wondering what will happen when I get new elements. I think I have at least a dozen or so firings out of the current elements but I think they will need to be replaced in a couple of months as I plan to start firing twice a week now that i have the glaze fire worked out.

Does the TC offset change with new elements?

I read somewhere you only get 50 (ish) glaze firings out of a set of elements, is that inaccurate? At twice a week that would be over 100 in a year, plus the bisque.

I am not seeing increase in firing time really, I think 9 minutes is probably within the variance and the last 2 were exactly the same

1 hour ago, shawnhar said:

I read somewhere you only get 50 (ish) glaze firings out of a set of elements, is that inaccurate? At twice a week that would be over 100 in a year, plus the bisque.

I am not seeing increase in firing time really, I think 9 minutes is probably within the variance and the last 2 were exactly the same

Assuming your kiln is rated for cone 10, and you're glaze firing to cone 6, you should get about 150 firings total with about 60% glaze and 40% bisque.

7 minutes ago, shawnhar said:

Thanks Neil, guess I won't worry about the elements for a while. I have no idea how many times they were fired when I got the kiln but they looked really good and still do.

The best thing to do is test the element resistance with an Ohm meter. Any basic cheap digital multi-meter form the hardware store will work. Once the elements are 10% off from original they should be replaced.

Archived