Single fire vs Bisque and Glaze

GreyBird

Hi,

I have a small test kiln ready to fire a bunch of test tiles with new glazes. The test tiles are greenware. I'd like to glaze them and and fire right to cone 6 since they are just test tiles and not likely to explode. My question is do glazes come out the same if applied to greenware vs bisque ware?

-M

Try it and find out. A few of the members here skip the bisque step and go straight to glaze. As far as exploding is concerned, if the test tiles are bone dry before the glaze process, you shouldn't have a problem, otherwise you may be looking at a bunch of glazed shards. If they are not bone dry, you might run an appropriate preheat segment in your firing program...

JohnnyK

A couple of members here once fires. I think Oldlady is one of them.  

I tried the same G in our school test kiln. I was blown away by how different they turned out. 

I also noticed a difference in glaze outcome when test tiles were fired in test kiln vs regular kiln.  I no longer use the test kiln for testing glazes.  

• 2 weeks later...

A lot will depend on the pots you choose to once-fire. Thin-walled or heavily carved pieces will absorb the water in the glaze unevenly. @oldlady is careful to take this into account when she is making her pots. Less water in the glaze, bentonite and faster dipping can work. Lots of experimentation will make you familiar with what your pots can take.

Similar to what Rae is talking about, when you dip a raw (greenware) test tile into glaze it will absorb less glaze than a bisqued test tile would.  This is very difficult to control, and you would have to weigh the test tiles before and after dipping when well dried to know for sure if you were getting the same amount of glaze applied.  Way too hard!    Just bisque them first.

Archived