GreyBird

Single fire vs Bisque and Glaze

Hi,

I have a small test kiln ready to fire a bunch of test tiles with new glazes. The test tiles are greenware. I'd like to glaze them and and fire right to cone 6 since they are just test tiles and not likely to explode. My question is do glazes come out the same if applied to greenware vs bisque ware?

-M

Try it and find out. A few of the members here skip the bisque step and go straight to glaze. As far as exploding is concerned, if the test tiles are bone dry before the glaze process, you shouldn't have a problem, otherwise you may be looking at a bunch of glazed shards. If they are not bone dry, you might run an appropriate preheat segment in your firing program...

JohnnyK

Yes, I'm mixing new glazes and looking to duplicate what I will get out of the big kiln so what Neil says makes the most sense in my case. I will bisque them. 

Thank You!

A couple of members here once fires. I think Oldlady is one of them.  

I tried the same G in our school test kiln. I was blown away by how different they turned out. 

I also noticed a difference in glaze outcome when test tiles were fired in test kiln vs regular kiln.  I no longer use the test kiln for testing glazes.