Wax pots with a brush?-try a cut sponge instead

Mark C.

Many folks like myself learned in school to use a brush to apply wax resist to pottery bottom and elsewhere

Years ago a potter turned me on to cutting up a round sponge in 4-5 pieces-wet it in water and dip it into the wax

You can wax a foot in two strokes-it is super quick to wax a load of pots this wax-

I keep sponges and wax in a salsa container with lid on-keeps it fresh ready to go

You will need to learn control of wax as well thinning it with water at times so it flows well-do not get it to thin as it will run on potd

I angle foot so a drip falls straight down onto floor

Try this on you nest kiln load

Yes a brush still has its place waxing but not very much.

Mark

Many folks like myself learned in school to use a brush to apply wax resist to pottery bottom and elsewhere

Years ago a potter turned me on to cutting up a round sponge in 4-5 pieces-wet it in water and dip it into the wax

You can wax a foot in two strokes-it is super quick to wax a load of pots this wax-

I keep sponges and wax in a salsa container with lid on-keeps it fresh ready to go

You will need to learn control of wax as well thinning it with water at times so it flows well-do not get it to thin as it will run on potd

I angle foot so a drip falls straight down onto floor

Try this on you nest kiln load

Yes a brush still has its place waxing but not very much.

Mark

Van Der Gilder demonstrates using the painter's sponges to apply wax to pots. These have a brush like handle, and none of the negatives of bristles in wax. Also they are pretty cheap.

I use those cheap sponges on a stick that you can buy at the hardware, or dollar store. I also use wax resist-in the bottle. Some potters use liquid floor polish, but it smells.

I also use alumina hydrate on lids first and then wax. Lots of my lids stuck before this.

TJR.

I have used sponges for years to apply the emulsion 'wax'.....I keep a piece of foam (from a an egg-crate style foam mattress or cushion foam) and just tear off a piece when I'm waxing, then throw it away. Next time, tear off another piece, wax, and pitch. No cleanup.

Archived