Firing Bisque in Computerized Kiln

Use one of the pre-programmed schedules in your controller. For most pots, medium speed is fine. No need for a hold at the top. For glaze firings you can go a bit faster. What type of kiln do you have? If it's got slow-med-fast options on the controller like a Skutt, just do everything on medium. If it's got slow and fast bisque or glaze like on an L&L, do fast bisque and slow glaze.

Neil, normally I would NEVER question you because you’re awesome, but I wanted to make sure you said that correctly. I have always been told that bisque should be slow, even if pots are bone dry, and also a one hour preheat is best practice. I exploded some bone dry pots when I didn’t do a preheat once. I also fire at medium speed for my glaze firings. So for me, it’s slow bisque and medium glaze. Sorry, just wanted to make sure!!  

22 minutes ago, PotterPutter said:

Neil, normally I would NEVER question you because you’re awesome, but I wanted to make sure you said that correctly. I have always been told that bisque should be slow, even if pots are bone dry, and also a one hour preheat is best practice. I exploded some bone dry pots when I didn’t do a preheat once. I also fire at medium speed for my glaze firings. So for me, it’s slow bisque and medium glaze. Sorry, just wanted to make sure!!  

If your pots are of appropriate thickness, like 1/4" or less, and bone dry, there is no need to do a preheat or fire on slow. If your pots blew up because you didn't do a preheat, then they were either too thick for that speed or weren't actually dry. It can be difficult to tell if things are totally dry, though, so by all means do a preheat if you're not sure.

I work in porcelain, which dries quickly, and doesn't have so much stuff to burn out as stoneware clays, so I often do a 30 minute preheat to make sure everything is totally dry, then do a 5 hour firing. Do what you know your pots can handle, but chances are they can go faster than you think in most cases. Also make sure you're loading them upside down whenever possible, as they'll heat more evenly that way.

And thank you for the kind words.:)

Hi Elise, welcome to the forum.

I would just add that on glaze firings we experimented a lot and found that for our cone 6 firings we go to cone 5 with a 20 minute hold at the end. This hold serves as a cone in heat work and is meant to soak and level out the glaze. By doing this we found we have less glaze defects. I've heard anywhere from 20-40 minutes cited for a cone in heat work and with the 20 minutes we get a half bend on a cone 6 cone.

Good luck, enjoy! 

@elisesurma, what type of clay are you using? For white or light coloured clays then what has already been suggested will work but if by chance you are using a really dark or blackish clay then a slower bisque and a hold during the bisque might be necessary. Also, with those type clays going a little under cone 6 is sometimes necessary. Agree with Stephen, just have to run some pots/glaze tests through the kiln and go from there.

I will be doing a cone 6 firing tonight but I'm going to try the advice of going to cone 5 with a hold. I have witness cones so we will see. 

Fired bisque with medium speed last night so I will see in a couple hours if anything blew. Thank you everyone for your advice. 

@Min I use porcelain and Georgies dark chocolate clay...so definitely a mix.  

1 hour ago, elisesurma said:

I use porcelain and Georgies dark chocolate clay...so definitely a mix.

Have you fired the Georgies Dark Chocolate to ^6 before? No problems? Also, the umber is adding manganese to the clay so the fumes from the kiln need to be well vented.  Curt wrote a really good post on bisque firing dark claybodies at the bottom of this page. From Georgies website re glaze firing this clay to cone 5:

Trail Mix Dark Chocolate (CC535D)

Dark rich brown, almost black. Best when fired to cone 5. The umber addition brings extra flux to the clay, making this a very tight body.

Archived