WEIRD NOISE ON BRENT CXC

Teala62

Hi again,

This wheel has been in storage for 19 years. The man's mother used it prior to storing it when she decided she did not want it in her house.  It sounds like the Brents I hear at the college, but there are two  problems: the wheel does not stop when you put the wheel in the position it should stop.  My instructor at the college said it is not a problem, you just adjust the foot pedal and it will definitely stop it.  I do not know if that is an absolutely true statement or if that is often the case.  MORE IMPORTANTLY,  I hear a banging in this video.  It is 7 hours from me, so I can't really go see it to easily. He's only asking $400.  So depending on what that noise is and how much it would cost to correct, it could be a good wheel.  WHAT COULD THAT NOISE BE?????  IS IT A DEAL BREAKER because it would be very costly to correct?   https://youtu.be/iI0H2HwQbjQ

Pres,

Thank you again.  I was hoping I could get an answer that would give me the courage to drive to go get it. The guy said he would keep it for me at $400 until I called him tomorrow.  I told him I was going to ask people who were professional potters.  He suggested he thought it might just need a new belt also.  It had been in the garage at his Mom's house.  He used it for two summers while he was in college and then he got the bug to do glass work and never looked back, his mom used it for about 2 months and that is it.

I am going to try to verify the age, but I am not sure the age matters if there is not a serious problem.

He doesn't run the wheel long enough in the video to really tell what's going on there, but if the banging noise is consistent with the rotating speed of the wheel, then it's probably the belt, like Pres said. if it won't turn off when the pedal is in the off position, then it's a simple adjustment to the low end control on the pedal.

Hello Chris,

You beat me to the search on you tube.  THANK YOU!!!  It saves me the trouble.   I came across this latest wheel by shear serendipity.    I was all set to get a used Shimpo which was 10 hours from me one way.  Stephen then reminded me that clay king would have that same wheel new for 1200 delivered so I decided NOT to drive 20-24  in four days to go and come back. Locally that wheel was going to be $1515, but I could get  it for $900 so I thought I was going to save $$$$$. I had forgotten I could get it on-line.   Shortly after I made that decision, I found this wheel only 7 hours from me.  I can do that in four days with no problem.  

20 minutes ago, Teala62 said:

I can do that in four days with no problem.  

Can you get the seller to meet you at a middle point to limit the travel? Even if for a little more on the asking price? Four days of travel, travel expenses, lost wages... seems like the wheel may cost significantly more than the $400 you'll be handing over.

Hi Chris, 

I was less than clear.  I rewrote it twice trying to make it clear.  I am only going 7 hours away.  If I needed to, I could do it over 4 days.  Going to NC was the 4 days of at least 8 hour + driving.  I am retired and do not work in the summers so I won't miss any work.  In addition,  it is a straight shot of driving, no big hills or remote areas to traverse.  The guy actually has it in his mom's garage about 100 miles closer to me.  He will not be there at all---just his mom and he is going to ask a friend of hers to help me get it into my car.  

A  SHOUTING  THANK YOU to Neil, Pres, Mark C, Chris, and Greybeard !!

Thanks  to all of you great people who helped me, I was able to get that CXC.

Now the adventure begins. I will be replacing the belt so I have to order it and learn how to install it.

I'm off to look for information about what I may need to do to service/clean/oil the motor.  I think it might need something because when I did not use my sewing machine for 10 years I needed to clean up its moving parts and have the machine gone over.  But for $400, I am very happy. I will tackle the foot pedal first.  My first search for how to change the belt brought up a video from brent!!! YAY now I need to order my belt.  

THANK YOU AGAIN GUYS!!!!

Archived